5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Re: Diamond announces 6 cylinder Diesel development

Post by Tommy »

Antoine wrote:I have a small Excel spreadsheet from an aircraft design primer course I attended 2 years ago.

What it does is calculate the MTOW, power and fuel requirements based upon mission requirements and certain fixed parameters such as the ratio between empty weight and MTOW.
This spreadsheet makes it evident that excess engine weight is an absolute no go in aircraft design. The degradation of landing parameters between the DA40NG and the previous model shows this too.

I believe that there will someday be a manufacturer who will beat the hell out of Diamond (and Cirrus) by copying their airframe around a better engine and lighter technology overall.
A FADEC- equipped Lyco or even a reliable Thielert is probably a realistic alternative. Pipistrel?

Did you know the prototype of the DA40 flew with a Rotax 914 turbo?
This is getting to be a bit scary. I'm beginning to agree with way to many comments on this forum.
Antoine, you have put down in words what I have always believed. What you have said just makes common sense. I just don't understand where Diamond is going with the diesel other than fuel availability.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Re: Diamond announces 6 cylinder Diesel development

Post by Antoine »

Diamond13 wrote:Amazingly enough, I was quite impressed when I flew it, mind you the IO-360 DA 40 was not yet conceived, so I could really only compare it to the C1. It flew like a lazy C1, all the great handling qualities, just not the power for great climbs or high cruise speed! The fact the we had four adult males on-board I'm sure had something to do with that as well!
I envy you! While I feel the IO-360 is a great powerplant but it is quite heavy... so having a few dozen pounds lesss on the nose must have made a nice difference in handling...