5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Re: Black Diamonds Aero

Post by Antoine »

Jean, I can only second Kai's explanation.

Of course it would be nice if Diamond themselves picked-up the idea of BDA and we did not have to do all that.
I am going to AERO Friedrichshafen in 3 weeks time and I will stop by and ask them if they would do an STC for us or somehow support us if we do the STC.

(are you coming btw? Lance and I plan on meeting there on saturday, it would be nice to meet you in person :) ).

I would be surprised if Diamond Austria said yes... But you are right, we should ask...

If we have to design our own landing gear, I expect it to be a lighter, more aerodynamic setup simply by removing the "trainer" focus which they put on their specs.
We save weight by using machined aluminum or composite instead of solid steel.
We can then invest this weight "credit" on the front of the plane to properly manage the CG situation. How about making the cowling out of polished stainless steel? :D

I had a lengthy discussion with Lance yesterday. Despite the fact that we did not secure (yet) the financial support we were hoping for, we are pushing ahead and hoping that the community will show more motivation once we have a clearer picture of the roadmap.

The project is maturing and focusing upon the goal of making the DA40 a 1000 lb useful load plane, capable of an honest 150 Knot cruise on 9 GPH at FL150. This is a very ambitious goal considering no power upgrade, but we believe we can do it.

Please continue debating: this is what makes the vision and our options mature, and we certainly are in need for as much "brainware" as we can find. As I said in my first post: nobody knows better than our community what our planes need.
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

Antoine wrote: (are you coming btw? Lance and I plan on meeting there on saturday, it would be nice to meet you in person ).
Yes I planned coming on friday though. Saturday is the last expo day, so by noon, almost everybody is packing back home.
If you both are there on saturday, I will also reserve a slot for that day. I can make a night departure from EBLG to get there early.
We'd better be in the starting blocks when slot allocation begins (april 7th).
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

OK lets PM to coordinate that. Lance will be coming in on friday night I think.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

Antoine wrote: The project is maturing and focusing upon the goal of making the DA40 a 1000 lb useful load plane, capable of an honest 150 Knot cruise on 9 GPH at FL150. This is a very ambitious goal considering no power upgrade, but we believe we can do it.
Oops I have to correct this silly typo: FL100 not 150!
Bret

Post by Bret »

I will be posting pictures soon of our wheel pants and landing gear mods we have came up with for the da40. Our landing gear is a combination of torsion rods and composite main gear. In this way you have the strength of steel and the weight of composites. All wheel pants and aero covers for the landing gear are carbon fiber. This gear can withstand the 1000 lb useful load.
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

Bret wrote:I will be posting pictures soon of our wheel pants and landing gear mods we have came up with for the da40. Our landing gear is a combination of torsion rods and composite main gear. In this way you have the strength of steel and the weight of composites. All wheel pants and aero covers for the landing gear are carbon fiber. This gear can withstand the 1000 lb useful load.
Bret, please check your private messages :thumbsup:
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

Antoine wrote:
Antoine wrote: The project is maturing and focusing upon the goal of making the DA40 a 1000 lb useful load plane, capable of an honest 150 Knot cruise on 9 GPH at FL150. This is a very ambitious goal considering no power upgrade, but we believe we can do it.
Oops I have to correct this silly typo: FL100 not 150!
Our fleet average speed is 118 kts burning 8.7 gph.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Kai wrote:Our fleet average speed is 118 kts burning 8.7 gph.
Kai, is that 118 TAS or IAS? How did you arrive at that number?
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

Rick wrote:
This was just a superficial average I drew from the last 50 reports of DA40s. The speed was calculated on the true distance covered and the total time. I can get more accurate numbers, but I thought it was revealing on what we really get out of or planes...
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Kai wrote:
Rick wrote:
This was just a superficial average I drew from the last 50 reports of DA40s. The speed was calculated on the true distance covered and the total time. I can get more accurate numbers, but I thought it was revealing on what we really get out of or planes...
Ok, so this is the average ground speed! For people like me that always have a headwind, that's not such a bad average, I guess! :D

Come to think of it, though, it's probably not even average ground speed, since it will include all the maneuvering for landings, departures in the wrong direction, etc., and the time may include taxi, runup, etc? Just trying to figure out what we're looking at, that's all...

The 8.7 gph sounds pretty good, considering that includes climbs to altitude and all. That number is actually pretty close to what I see when I divide total fuel burned by hours flown in my DA40.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)