Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N633DC
Airports: KJGG

Two New Models from Diamond to be Introduced

Post by Joey »

March 17, 2012

At Aero, More New Stuff From Diamond Email this article |Print this article

By Paul Bertorelli, Editorial Director

The Aero show in Friedrichshafen, Germany next month promises to be a busy one for Diamond Aircraft. Company CEO Christian Dries told AVweb that two new airplanes will be shown there, both twins based on the Austro Jet-A-burning four-cylinder powerplant. The DA42 V1 is a much improved follow-up to the DA42NG, the first model that sported the Austro engines, developed by Diamond's sister company. The airplane has improved aerodynamics concentrated on the engine cowling and rudder and is considerably faster than the previous model. AVweb was given a brief test flight in the airplane and noted that its single-engine performance about 15,000 feet yielded nearly 400 FPM of climb.

Also on view there will be an entirely new model, the DA52. This aircraft is based on Diamond's large-cabin DA50 idea, which was originally to have a large-displacement Continental gasoline engine or an as yet unannounced diesel. But, said Dries, "the DA50 will never have a 350-hp Continental engine." What it may have, he said, is a turbine engine. He declined to offer details but said the potential turbine will come from the east, not the west.

Meanwhile, the DA52 twin will have the Austro engines, Dries said. The cabin is wider and longer than the DA42 and will be capable of accommodating 5 to 6 people. We were shown a prototype well under way, which Dries said would fly in early April. Performance, he said, is likely to be a few knots slower than the V1. We'll have more details on this airplane when Aero opens on April 18, along with a brief video report.
Joey Ritchie
DA40 XLS 40.940
JGG Williamsburg VA
Star57
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Frank
Aircraft Registration: C-FRZA 40.509
Airports: CYBW

Re: Two New Models from Diamond to be Introduced

Post by Star57 »

Possible DA50 turbine candidate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allison_Mo ... plications
or also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_M601
The 601 may be a bit on the heavy side, about 400 pounds
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

Star57 wrote:Possible DA50 turbine candidate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allison_Mo ... plications
or also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_M601
The 601 may be a bit on the heavy side, about 400 pounds
Frank, did Dries say in the article the turbines would come from the east, not the west? :scratch:

Nevertheless, I am amazed they want to go into this direction. I just hope it ends better than the DA50 and D-Jet projects. If they really go ahead with this, it will take Diamond into the top league of aircraft manufacturers.
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Henrik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Henrik
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports:

Post by Henrik »

I'd love to see a turbine DA50 certified 4-5 seater from Diamond. It'd bridge the cost and capacity gap between a high performance piston single & a new Piper Meridian. A lot of people don't really need 6 seats on a regular basis.

Only problem is that it'd probably retail at about USD1.2-1.4m, and you won't find many buyers in that segment. Also they'd need to increase the DA50's fuel capacity substantially (currently 74 gal), to maintain a decent range...
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Turbine, pressurized and high speed single make sense together.

Fixed gear doesn't really, and I'm curious to see how the market will react. The Pipers are excellent planes, they are proven, roomy and well priced, so Diamond will have to deliver more value for the same money or be priced lower. I wonder if the DA50 turbine with its fixed gear can be as fast as the old Malibu design?

Also, small turbines have a sfc at least 30% higher than a piston engine, which puts range under pressure. Despite the turbine's intrinsic reliability, the cost of operation can become prohibitive due to the time limit on the turbine inspections/overhaul.
Such planes must fly a lot to spread the cost before the time limit kicks in.

But still, starting up a turbine is quite an erotic :oops: experience!
Star57
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Star57 »

In my humble and highly opinionated vision of where they should position the DA50 turbines, it should not be higher than 850k.

That's about 150k more than a fully loaded Cirrus Turbo, give it the G2000 and put all the options on it including FIKI, traffic, terrain, proper seat belts so I don't hit the canopy in bumpy weather .

Mr Dries...listen to me, tune that baby to true at 250 @ 250, I don't want to burn more than 20 gallons per hour, I need a range of 1000 N miles with IFR reserves, I need that Turbine FADEC, just like in the Bell 407...now that would be erotic! :oops:

Now that you have this project under way, change the nose of it, rename it, hang two AE500 Engines, one on each wing ( I don't any confusion :scratch: ).

I don't want to burn more than 9 gallons per engine/hour, 220 KTAS is expected at FL250, G2000 and all the toys are expected, name it DA62 ? It shouldn't be priced over 850k.
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

Star57 wrote:In my humble and highly opinionated vision of where they should position the DA50 turbines, it should not be higher than 850k.

I don't want to burn more than 9 gallons per engine/hour, 220 KTAS is expected at FL250, G2000 and all the toys are expected, name it DA62 ? It shouldn't be priced over 850k.
The likelihood of happening... not a snow balls chance in hell.
Star57
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Star57 »

Tommy wrote:
Star57 wrote:In my humble and highly opinionated vision of where they should position the DA50 turbines, it should not be higher than 850k.

The likelihood of happening... not a snow balls chance in hell.
I have to agree...it all would be too easy, and easy and general aviation don't go together.

Part of the solution would be to limit manufacturers liability to 5 years or 1000 hours for private AC and half that for light aviation commercially operated.
Lawyers on the site...don't flame me.
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Post by Gary »

Star57 wrote:
I have to agree...it all would be too easy, and easy and general aviation don't go together.

Part of the solution would be to limit manufacturers liability to 5 years or 1000 hours for private AC and half that for light aviation commercially operated.
Lawyers on the site...don't flame me.
I agree. General aviation has inherent risks and I am tired of those who blame the manufacturers for what is almost always pilot error.