Aart
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Aart
Aircraft Type: DA42
Airports:

Re: Diamond Unveils Turboprop Single At Aero

Post by Aart »

Maybe we should do a fun poll here. And all who participate chip in 10 euros. Winner takes all.

I used to own a Cirrus 20, so I am just going to extrapolate from the performance of that airplane. My vote:

175 knots, 5.000 feet, 12 gals/hr.

Going higher will not bring anything much, non-turbo engine..

Hmmm, maybe Pipistrel is thinking already about a different engine (read Diesel) to make good on their claim of 200 knots at 10 gals/hr. At higher altitudes of course. A lot can happen in 6 years.
Aart
DA42.332 PH-CCD LESB (Palma de Mallorca, Spain)
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Re: Diamond Unveils Turboprop Single At Aero

Post by Antoine »

Great idea Aart. :D

I have done my homework and here my revised :( entry and the explanatiion:

Cruise (75% power): 170 KTAS at FL 090.
Fuel burn 13.2 GPH (that's 75% power at a SFC of 0.5 lb/hp hour)

I calculated the 170 KTAS from Pipistrel's reported 160 KTAS at 9.5 GPH (60% power) at FL140.
The power increase from 60 to 75% would be worth 12 extra knots using the cube root rule, but the lower cruise altitude will cost a couple... 75% power is obviously not possible at FL 140...

I believe that max speed will be 180 KTAS on 17 GPH near sea level with power close to take-off. This 170 to 180 knot bracket is not really different from Aart's entry I suppose...

Sadly, these numbers are not much better than what an SR 22 does ... with its landing gear sticking out, TKS leading edges and a 5th seat. Remember the Panthera has no de-icing at this point.

I would love to lose my 10€ and see a +10 knots miracle happen - somehow the plane seems to be worth it. 10 extra KTAS is only possible if something is seriously wrong at the moment, for example cooling drag... or my calculations... can somebody please double check?

(I already double-checked the 160 KTAS/9.5 GPH/FL140 statement by the Pipistrel test pilot.)