4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: alexanderk
Aircraft Type: DA20
Airports: CYPK

Re: Diamond Unveils Turboprop Single At Aero

Post by alexanderk »

This is magnificent and long overdue!

One point though - they should have picked up any turbine engine but from the Motor Sich. Even Czech Walter, Russian, British, Canadian PT6 turbines, lots of other options. While it is true that their old engines powered some great aircraft, that was when it was a different country, different environment and business climate. This is past now, the today's reality is vastly different there.
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

In my view to be attractive to "western" buyers, it will need to be pressurized (like the DA-50 gas model that was promised) and have a western engine. Parts and service would be a great concern with this relatively unknown engine. Given the Thielert debacle, I wouldn't buy something like this without a PT-6, a GE/Walter or a RR/Allison turbine. Too much risk.

Krea Ellis
N853DF DA-20-A1
N616ML DA-40 XLS
Moonshine
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Max
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: N727FP
Airports: KPWK

Post by Moonshine »

Jebus.
Sigh.
Don't get me wrong, I'm from around there and MotorSich makes very fine engines. But...

Here's another picture. Shows how well that turbine fits the existing lines. And fixed gear. And I thought DA50 coundn't carry enough fuel for a six banger piston?

Something tells me it went along the lines of "We bought quite a few airplanes from you lately. MPP's for the Border Patrol, 40's and 42's for the flight schools. Now you need to buy something from us, bolt it on one of your airplanes and show it off at the Friedrichshafen"
Attachments
DA50_Turbine-f5150.jpg
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

Moonshine wrote: Something tells me it went along the lines of "We bought quite a few airplanes from you lately. MPP's for the Border Patrol, 40's and 42's for the flight schools. Now you need to buy something from us, bolt it on one of your airplanes and show it off at the Friedrichshafen"
+1
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

Kai wrote:
Moonshine wrote: Something tells me it went along the lines of "We bought quite a few airplanes from you lately. MPP's for the Border Patrol, 40's and 42's for the flight schools. Now you need to buy something from us, bolt it on one of your airplanes and show it off at the Friedrichshafen"
+1
+2 :thumbsd:
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

I wonder what the cruise speed is?
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Erik
Airports:

Post by Erik »

Very interesting indeed. That is one big fat prop. I wouldn't worry too much about the prop clearance to the front wheel pants at this stage as it is just a mockup they slapped together.

Remembering the many other airplanes that they have put forward as concepts, I wonder if this one will come to pass.

Here is a good comparison airplane for a Allison helicopter-turbine powered nonpressurized single - the tradewinds conversion of the Bonanza A36. They say it turns the 170TAS airplane into a "50 or 60" faster or lets call it 225TAS cruiser. ALso most impressive is the short field operations - see it can land in 580 feet and take off much shorter than that. :
http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/aircraf ... nt&print=1

The cool thing about helicopter engines over a PT6 is that they are better optimized for flying in the mid teens instead of mid to upper 20s, meaning they are reasonable to operate without pressurization but just an O2 system. I now operate a Mooney Rocket and I find it no problem to fly around in the mid teens with cannulas or upper teens and low twenties with a mask - its fun even. It makes a much cheaper and simpler airplane without a major system to take care of like pressurization. A Pt6 engine which is fuel hungry until the mid 20s and up is not so good without pressurization since that becomes physiologically a bad idea to operate up there on just a mask. ALso the ALison powered bonanza claims 28gph which is a fair bit lower than a pt6.

Besides over time they could make a pressurized and an unpressurized version of it - just like Piper does for the Meridian/Mirage.

My guess - if they build this thing is that it will be quite an awesome airplane and one I would drool over. I bet with this slick and small airplane behind a 450hp turbine - I am guessing 240-250tas on 28gph. And short field, and 2500fpm all the way up to 20k. 20k in 8 min.

I am a bit worried about a russian built turbine. But it could be okay I guess. Maybe it is a screaming good deal. Maybe a $100k engine and you have an $750k turbine FIKI DA50. I would rather such a plane over a $2M Piper Meridian even with pressurize - assuming we are convinced the engine is good.
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: W
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Post by 41000 »

Another disaster, this might just finish the Diamond comp off once and for all, who comes up with this stuff
Moonshine
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Max
Aircraft Registration: N727FP
Airports: KPWK

Post by Moonshine »

Erik wrote:I am a bit worried about a russian built turbine.
That's Ukrainian, thank you very much! :mrgreen:

Well, after careful consideration... You do need to play around with a proof of concept aircraft if you are interested in developing a new line.

Making timely G1000 software updates isn't nearly as exciting, you see :mrgreen: