4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Aart
Aircraft Type: DA42
Airports:

exchange

Post by Aart »

An idea:

What about setting up some sort of 'marketplace' like they do for home-exchanges for holidays.

What I mean is that many of us would like to fly on another continent in a plane which he is familiar with, make new friends, see new things, and learn the way aviation is done there.

I for one would not mind spending a few days making a nice trip in the US or SA with a fellow DA42 owner, and that owner would visit me later to repeat the process here in Europe (assuming we are still friends..)
Aart
DA42.332 PH-CCD LESB (Palma de Mallorca, Spain)
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Re: exchange

Post by Kai »

Aart,

I love the idea and might have proposed it here before. But haven't had any takers. Quite frankly, we don't really need to make a special section for that, just keep this thread alive.

My situation now makes it nearly impossible to just leave my plane to someone else, just because Thai law will only allow the registered owner to fly it and you'd need a Thai pilot's license which is hard to obtain. So I don't know how much fun it is to fly my plane around Thailand with me on the right or left seat
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Aart
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Aart »

Ahh, I see I should have been clearer. I actually did assume a trip with the owner on board, just to prevent insurance issue and possibly anxiety of the owner...
Aart
galaticsmurf
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jonathan
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N147TS
Airports: KHSV

Post by galaticsmurf »

But as long as you meet our absurd open pilot clause requirements (Commercial AMEL, 1000 TT, 500 AMEL, 50 in DA42NG, and IPC in DA42NG in last 12 months), I'd have no problems tossing you the keys to N147TS and letting you fly it, but that begs the question, who *wants* to visit Huntsville, AL?
Aart wrote:Ahh, I see I should have been clearer. I actually did assume a trip with the owner on board, just to prevent insurance issue and possibly anxiety of the owner...
Doug
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Doug
Airports:

Post by Doug »

galaticsmurf wrote:But as long as you meet our absurd open pilot clause requirements (Commercial AMEL, 1000 TT, 500 AMEL, 50 in DA42NG, and IPC in DA42NG in last 12 months), I'd have no problems tossing you the keys to N147TS and letting you fly it, but that begs the question, who *wants* to visit Huntsville, AL?
I was just in Huntsville last month to deliver my old 414 to its new owners. I thought it was a nice place :thumbsup:
Doug Thompson
CYXH - Medicine Hat, AB
Comm, ME, IFR
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

Aart,

I still like your idea and of course, you are always welcome to drop by here in Thailand and get a few flights with me if you dare to sit in a single engine aircraft.

To another point, it seems people don't really like to answer here, but there might be a few of our long term members here who will invite you as well. Are our fellow members just shy or why do they hesitate to take such a friendly and interesting guy like you up into the air? I still remember our small fly-in in Mallorca and me busting all airspaces to get a safe landing on your field. Last but not least, you live in one of the most desireable places in Europe and a top holiday location.

Maybe we should start using photos of ourselves as avatars instead of our beautiful planes. I really like your idea and would like you and others to post your ideas and concerns so we can make this possible.
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
galaticsmurf
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jonathan
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N147TS
Airports: KHSV

Post by galaticsmurf »

I like the idea of an exchange. There was an article in Plane & Pilot not too long ago about such a thing, http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/travel/ ... plane.html
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

galaticsmurf wrote:But as long as you meet our absurd open pilot clause requirements (Commercial AMEL, 1000 TT, 500 AMEL, 50 in DA42NG, and IPC in DA42NG in last 12 months), I'd have no problems tossing you the keys to N147TS and letting you fly it, but that begs the question, who *wants* to visit Huntsville, AL?
Aart wrote:Ahh, I see I should have been clearer. I actually did assume a trip with the owner on board, just to prevent insurance issue and possibly anxiety of the owner...
Jonathan,
I would love to visit Huntsville. And, I meet all those requirements (except in a DA42 and not a DA42NG). So, get ready to hand over your keys :D

If anyone wants to visit Indianapolis, I am always happy to to go flying with you in my plane. Unfortunately, like Jonathan my insurance has similar requirements for PIC.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Aart
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Aart »

Kai,
Thanks for your kind words. But we only met once, and you know the Dr Jekyll and mr. Hyde story don't you? Anyway, thanks for the invite. I may take that up one day. I am instructing in a C172 that was probably built before our parents built you, so I should be fine aboard your Diamond, and certainly with you on the controls..
Apart from the insurance issue, I do think it is nice to spend a few days traveling with an aviation enthousiast. There almost always seems to be a click between us aviation looneys..
So, folks, you are welcome here.
Aart