5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Re: Advertising

Post by TimS »

Kai,

I am a rather infrequent user. But I believe you have created a very valuable resource for Diamond owners.
Tasteful advertisement and donations I believe is the way to go. The reality is the community is not large enough for either one solution to consistently work. So I think you need to find the best way to manage it. I would suggest simple ads on the top and one side; once a user has paid/donated some level (say $50 per year) the advertisement would be turned off once they log in.

Lastly, look at clubexpress.com
I am a member of two groups which use them. It is very well done, and very customized for each club. Not sure of the pricing....

Tim
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

TimS wrote:But I believe you have created a very valuable resource for Diamond owners.
Tasteful advertisement and donations I believe is the way to go.
Thank you. I like to hear you find this site useful and agree that the advertisement should be tasteful and it seems donations are still the most reliable source of income.
TimS wrote:The reality is the community is not large enough for either one solution to consistently work. So I think you need to find the best way to manage it.
Yep.
TimS wrote: I would suggest simple ads on the top and one side; once a user has paid/donated some level (say $50 per year) the advertisement would be turned off once they log in.
Advertisement on top is possible. I might not like it too much, though. On the side it is possible but the mobile-friendliness of the homepage and the forum might get lost. So top and bottom advertising is relatively simple to do without losing mobile-friendliness.
TimS wrote:Lastly, look at clubexpress.com
I am a member of two groups which use them. It is very well done, and very customized for each club. Not sure of the pricing....
I had a look there and have two concerns:

1) I do not like to pass on the member database to anyone. It is hard to control what happens with them and the less people and systems have access, the safer it is. Our database is especially critical as behind each member we can suspect that there is a way higher income than the average and a plane. Indeed we are constantly target of hacking attempts and I am not sure if this is because of the demography of our members or pure coincidence. The thought that an angry employee of that company can take the database and do with it what they want to, scares me to death. How could I explain to our members if suddenly they get spammed or victims of well-designed phishing attacks?

2) We would have to give up the design of our site and it took me a long time to make it work. I would have to throw away something which cost me time, effort and money which I put into outhouse scripting and designing. Also, it is not clear how each change in the membership structure would be transmitted to their database. Remember that the more you post here, the more privileges you have and that changes with each post.
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Kai,

Use https://tapatalk.com/
for the mobile side. They support phpBB on the back end; along with many others.
https://tapatalk.com/start-here.php

Tim
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

TimS wrote:Use https://tapatalk.com/
for the mobile side. They support phpBB on the back end; along with many others.
https://tapatalk.com/start-here.php
See this previous thread for why Kai is unlikely to support Tapatalk again. I'm a fan of the client, but if the server-side hassles are that bad, then I don't expect to see it here on DAN.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
johnu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: johnu
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N913JD
Airports: KAEG

Post by johnu »

Kai,

Good point. I just thought I would mention the possibility as I would certainly be interested. Aspen does several DA40 steam gauge retrofits and we have several DA 20's out there. If you ever decide differently let me know.

Good news on the donations. I guess I need to do that too! :)
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

Here is a quick update on all of you who donated. Thank you very much!

EDIT: I just realized that phpBB reduces the size of the image file to a degree that it is hard to read the acutal names of the donors. Here is a better screenshot of my PayPal account: http://www.awesomescreenshot.com/image/ ... e3aaa6f30d
Attachments
PayPal  summary2.png
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

The list of donations is getting ever longer. Thank you very much! Around $1000 have filled up my Paypal account.

http://www.awesomescreenshot.com/image/ ... 09f23e4f5c
PayPal  summary2.png