4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Re: First Aircraft and Post

Post by Don »

Derek wrote:Don, I’m curious so forgive me if this is too personal: why did you buy 4 DA40’s?
Basically, I kept moving up as the DA40 became available with more improvements over the years. All purchases were ordered new from the factory. I also have third production unit of D-Jet on order but I am not holding my breath on that one.
First one. Student pilot. A 2003, Garmin 530/430 combo with AP. Received my PP in that aircraft.
Second one. Purchased the very first all glass, G-1000 Star delivered to the States. The dealer also gave me 90% of my original acquisition cost trade in value on the 2003 which made the deal easy to trade up.
Third one. Purchased the very first XL, a 2006 model. My wife received her PP and Instrument in this aircraft. I sold the XL through a broker in early 2010 to a current forum member here. The reason for the sell is I wanted to go back to 40 gallon tanks to increase the back seat weight load.
Forth one and current Star. A 2010 XLS, special factory order with only 40 gallon fuel tanks and custom design factory applied graphics. I have been very happy with the current Star. That said, I am planning to purchase my fifth Star in 2020. It too will have 40 gallon tanks as it meets my mission requirements.
N623DS.jpg
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

I thought you were going to say that it was the only way to get a G1000 s/w update from Diamond. :D
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N812LA
Airports: KFCI

Post by Donkadillapig »

Hello All,
I thought I'd jump on Shawn's thread here and introduce myself, being that this too is my first post and first plane. I've been lurking on the forum for a month or so now and truly appreciate all that I have learnt thus far.

I'm a newly minted PP with 62hrs in the log. I did my training at KOFP in rental Tecnum P92s Eaglets in the light sport category. The logic was the school I used had more of those frames than any other and so were easier to book. Even then, having to jump between the 3 or 4 different cockpit configurations was far from desirable. However, It wasn't until I went to start my IFR rating in the C172 that I realized this path was untenable. It seemed at least 1 of 4 of the planes were down for maintenance on a rolling basis and I was none too impressed with the age/condition of the aircraft. I'll stay diplomatic and leave it at that.

I'm fortunate enough to have a set of circumstances that have allowed me to purchase a new DA40NG through Lifestyle Aviation in NC. Deposit has been paid and I eagerly await news on a delivery date and tail number. If all goes well it should be in the Jan/Feb timeframe. I'm hoping to find a home at KFCI but that is yet to be determined.
I'm acutely aware that both in the air and on the ground, there is so much to learn. I'm keen to get acquainted with the new plane then restart my IFR training. As far as aircraft ownership is concerned, I'm drinking from the firehose and yet still feel like I know nothing :)

Thank you all again for this community, I'll keep you posted on the new "baby".
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Donkadillapig wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:02 pm I'm fortunate enough to have a set of circumstances that have allowed me to purchase a new DA40NG through Lifestyle Aviation in NC.
Congratulations on ordering a DA40NG! There are a number of DA40NG owners here happy to help you with questions, information, operational nuances, etc. Don't hesitate to ask!
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Hi Steve, Like Russ, I’m a DA40NG owner and it’s also my first ownership experience. Here are some things to think about.
  • Get yourself on hangar waiting lists ASAP (if you haven't already done so). I started renting my hangar 7 months before my plane was delivered because one became available. Attend any airport security training that’s applicable.
  • Learn about and decide your ownership and financial models, plus the associated tax implications (sales, property, income, etc.). Get professional advice specific to your state & locality.
  • Learn the G1000 basics via a course (Sporty's, King Schools, others), a book (e.g. Max Trescott’s), and/or buy the Garmin G1000 NXI PC Trainer. I recommend the Piper Archer version as it’s the closest (version 20.81) to what we have in a DA40NG.
  • Download the Garmin manuals (The Pilot Guide and Cockpit Reference Manual). Note that not everything mentioned in the manuals is currently supported in the DA40NG (e.g. Surface Watch, newer FIS-B weather, ESP, 3D Audio). These are planned for 2021.
  • Download and study the DA40NG AFM and consider developing your own checklists.
  • Get some DA40 time in your logbook to help with insurance costs; this can be either Lycoming or Austro-powered.
  • Start thinking about and researching the accessories you may want: chocks, tie-downs, nose-gear tow-bar protectors, portable oxygen system, airplane cover, cowl plugs, stick-on sunscreens, tugs, etc.
  • Learn about and meet your potential maintenance providers. You’ll love the plane and that first 100-hour oil change comes up faster than you think.
Welcome aboard!
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Donkadillapig »

This is fantastic info. Thanks Paul.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I would add one more item to Paul's comprehensive list:

Download Diamond's latest checklist for the G1000 NXi DA40NG here:
https://www.diamondaircraft.com/fileadm ... XI_1.2.pdf

Then take the file to a print shop, have it printed double-sided in color, with the pages laminated and bound. You'll then have an excellent checklist to keep in the airplane.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Donkadillapig »

Thank you again guys,
I've actioned all of these points. I have hanger space secured I am relieved to say. I commence building my DA40 time (ahead of my own delivery) this week.
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Donkadillapig »

N812LA slated for delivery; week commencing March 1st :)
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Donkadillapig »

And that'll be 1st week of April now.... Diamond in Toronto has being having a tough go of it lately by all accounts.... Just in case anyone is interested in a PIREP for factory lead times for a 40NG..... 6 months is my experience.