KOA (PHKO) - Kailua-Kona - Island Adventure Flying Course

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

davidw
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA20
Aircraft Registration: N183DA
Airports: KMYF

Re: KOA (PHKO) - Kailua-Kona - Island Adventure Flying Cours

Post by davidw »

Great trip report, Chris! I've flown Cessna's around Oahu and Maui and had a great time. Going with instructors is quite useful. They handle the radios and the airplane when I want to take a picture. They also play the role of tour guides pointing out local features.

I also circled Kauai in a Cessna, but only as a passenger since there were no rental options there.

Circling Maui and Oahu both took only 1.6 hours. I had planned to circle Hawaii until I realized that it would take much longer! I'll be returning to Hawaii island next year and will plan on flying their DA-20. How long did your flight last?
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

davidw wrote:How long did your flight last?
We logged 2.4 hours flying around the island in the C182. It seemed to go by quickly since there's almost always something interesting down below to grab your attention.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Hawaii is a great place to fly. About 25 years ago, I rented a Cherokee 140 to fly from Barbers Point over to the Big Island to watch the volcano erupt. For the check ride, the instructior had me fly from Pali Pass down towards Pearl Harbor (the same route that the Japanese took on Dec 7th). I could imagine what it looked like back then by mentally blocking out the high rise buildings of Honolulu. We did a couple of touch-and-gos on Ford Island - I could see the Battleship Arizona outline under the water.

It was quite an experience.

Steve