Flying Videos

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Gnomad
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eric
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N61EP
Airports: KEQY

Re: Flying Videos

Post by Gnomad »

Aero Plantation is an older fly-in community in Waxhaw, NC (Southern suburb of Charlotte). 2400' runway, 24 is preferred for landing due to it's uphill grade.

I live in a neighborhood just a mile away, wishing I lived here instead! =) My wife's best friend lives here and her pilot husband keeps his plane at EQY...my home field! WTF! You can build a hanger in your yard! ...something wrong with that guy... :scratch:

Anyway, exciting landing...the group of Crepe Myrtles just to the right of the approach end of the runway had my attention with my 40' wings!

FullScreen HD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRJUeBF ... UWynFL0f5Q
Last edited by Gnomad on Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Eric

DA42.N121 (Sold!)
DA40.1136 (Sold!)
Charlotte, NC (KEQY)

My Diamond Flight Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/eparker99a
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Great landing Eric. Love those short runways and tight spaces. Keeps you wide awake!
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

[vimeo=600,338]122873469[/vimeo]

https://vimeo.com/122873469

(Hey, Kai, the vimeo tag didn't work, but a web page told me that was a standard phpBB format.)

Tomorrow I hope to shoot a better video, of flying out to Catalina from Santa Monica. We'll see how that goes. I might not really be a GoPro sort of guy. Or, at least, I'm not an editing sort. I like writing, but editing video was putting me to sleep.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

The belly/bottom fuselage of your DA40 looks way too clean and shiny. :-D

Next time you might consider rotating the camera 90 degrees so the video is landscape rather than portrait -- which better fits most computer monitors and lets the viewer see more scenery.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Colin »

My plane cleaner seems to have left me until the end of the month, I think in protest that I did not hire him for the detailing he said they were offering on special. His mistake was giving me "a special price of $350." Unfortunately for him, a fellow Diamondstar pilot on the field WHO ONLY USES HIM BECAUSE I GAVE HER HIS NUMBER, said he offered to detail her plan for $300.

So for me, that belly is not clean enough.

And I am going to try out some different mounting positions. I don't think my current mount and box allowed for a 90 rotation, but I'll check. I know I don't like the buffeting on the case, but no one seems to have an aerodynamic version.
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

I have a GoPro but don't use it enough to have a good understanding of how to maximize its capabilities. So I am posting here to pole the experts. I am doing another long x-country from Indiana to Seattle to Los Angeles and then back to Indiana next week. How do you suggest I get the most worthwhile video with the relatively short battery and limited storage card. I have purchased a larger storage card, but it is still not all that large and the short battery life is really a pain (even tho I have a second battery as well). Do you just start and stop the GoPro for "interesting" images, put the GoPro in "time lapse" mode, or what? As you can see, I am quite novice at this and in need of help.

Thanks,
Cary
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

Post by BRS »

carym wrote:I have a GoPro ... how to maximize its capabilities.
Cary, I'm no expert but can possibly offer ideas of what has worked for me.

-Power your GP from the Cigar lighter. Though if you do this be cautious about using it in IMC or while talking to ATC. I had one charger that created interference on a tower frequency in the Denver area. Couldn't talk understand the twr until I was within 2 miles. Un-plugging solved the issue. You could also power it via a sizable portable phone recharger pack.

-I'd put it in time lapse if you want the whole trip. That is a lot of hours if on video.
-Control it from your smart phone so you can start/stop/view and change modes easily.
-Get an audio cable and adapters so you can plug it into the back seat headphone jack. This way you can give commentary while in video mode. It will also record ATC like this.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing your video.
40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Colin »

Oh, sure, visit LA while I am headed in the other direction. (London, Ontario tomorrow. Then I will head to Iowa City, starting on Saturday morning we'll head toward KCDW in NJ.)
Gnomad
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eric
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N61EP
Airports: KEQY

Post by Gnomad »

carym wrote:I have a GoPro but don't use it enough to have a good understanding of how to maximize its capabilities. So I am posting here to pole the experts. I am doing another long x-country from Indiana to Seattle to Los Angeles and then back to Indiana next week. How do you suggest I get the most worthwhile video with the relatively short battery and limited storage card. I have purchased a larger storage card, but it is still not all that large and the short battery life is really a pain (even tho I have a second battery as well). Do you just start and stop the GoPro for "interesting" images, put the GoPro in "time lapse" mode, or what? As you can see, I am quite novice at this and in need of help.

Thanks,
Cary
Cary, check your PM from May of 2014...I had sent you some tips you may have forgotten about.

To maximize battery I film at 1080p 30fps medium or wide mode and turn off ALL other settings. Again, EVERYTHING ELSE OFF to save battery. Even bumping to 60fps will waste battery, so keep it at 30fps. Also, there is a "Battery Backpack" that GoPro sells, it's a smaller unit that plugs directly into the back of the camera. http://shop.gopro.com/accessories/batte ... K-401.html

Good suggestion on the cig lighter above...if you have one in your plane, use it for power.

If you are having data storage problems, one solution is to dump your footage onto a laptop after each flight. You can also film at 720p for big storage savings, but you won't be in HD. 720p isn't bad, but I wouldn't go any lower.

I have never used the time-lapse modes on my camera, rather I film regular then manipulate all that stuff after the fact when editing. When I fly with the camera inside the plane, I almost always start/stop for interesting stuff. If you are flying severe clear over flat ground at 10k...there just isn't anything worth filming. I imagine flying around the cascades, you'll want it on! :D

When I have a go pro inside the plane, I have 3 go-to filming positions. Up on the roof/canopy for straight ahead shots, then I'll pop it off and stick it to either the left or right canopy to film straight down the wing. Be aware, the GoPro can overheat and shut itself down, so if it's stuck on a side of the cockpit, getting direct sunlight, eventually it will probably happen. Laying a piece of cloth over the top can solve this (don't block the camera's view).

Finally, make sure that all screws going from the mount to the camera are tight, you can get some funky vibration effects otherwise, especially if you later edit the video to fast-forward speed.

Hope you have a wonderful flight!
Eric

DA42.N121 (Sold!)
DA40.1136 (Sold!)
Charlotte, NC (KEQY)

My Diamond Flight Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/eparker99a
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Gnomad wrote: Cary, check your PM from May of 2014...I had sent you some tips you may have forgotten about.

To maximize battery I film at 1080p 30fps medium or wide mode and turn off ALL other settings. Again, EVERYTHING ELSE OFF to save battery. Even bumping to 60fps will waste battery, so keep it at 30fps. Also, there is a "Battery Backpack" that GoPro sells, it's a smaller unit that plugs directly into the back of the camera. http://shop.gopro.com/accessories/batte ... K-401.html

Good suggestion on the cig lighter above...if you have one in your plane, use it for power.

If you are having data storage problems, one solution is to dump your footage onto a laptop after each flight. You can also film at 720p for big storage savings, but you won't be in HD. 720p isn't bad, but I wouldn't go any lower.

I have never used the time-lapse modes on my camera, rather I film regular then manipulate all that stuff after the fact when editing. When I fly with the camera inside the plane, I almost always start/stop for interesting stuff. If you are flying severe clear over flat ground at 10k...there just isn't anything worth filming. I imagine flying around the cascades, you'll want it on! :D

When I have a go pro inside the plane, I have 3 go-to filming positions. Up on the roof/canopy for straight ahead shots, then I'll pop it off and stick it to either the left or right canopy to film straight down the wing. Be aware, the GoPro can overheat and shut itself down, so if it's stuck on a side of the cockpit, getting direct sunlight, eventually it will probably happen. Laying a piece of cloth over the top can solve this (don't block the camera's view).

Finally, make sure that all screws going from the mount to the camera are tight, you can get some funky vibration effects otherwise, especially if you later edit the video to fast-forward speed.

Hope you have a wonderful flight!
Eric,
Thanks for the suggestions. I did forget about your previous response and needed the reminder. As you know, diamond did not put in, nor did they allow, a cigarette lighter plug in the DA42 until the new models. However, I bring along a couple of 12 volt batteries that never get used but have to be replaced every annual. I tried time lapse previously but I was very disappointed so haven't used it since.

I will let you know how it goes on this trip.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com