Livermore California to Roanoke Virginia

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Tim
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N395JP
Airports: KROA

Livermore California to Roanoke Virginia

Post by Tim »

On Friday, Rick and I flew N395JP back from the San Francisco Bay Area (Livermore-LVK to be exact) to Roanoke, Virginia. We started late (Rick had just arrived from Roanoke and I'd come from Rhode Island) so didn't wheels up until 3pm Friday. We arrived Roanoke about 29 hours later after a hotel night in Cedar City Utah.

The journey was about 2000nm and took about 15 tach hours. We made an average of about 135kts and 8.5gph. I'd two O2 bottles and we used them extensively in the Rockies, flying straight out over Yosemite and across Nevada to Utah and Pueblo, Colorado.

The journey was mostly without incident. The weather was excellent with gentle tailwinds. It started clouding up around the MO/IL border and our final leg into Roanoke was nighttime IFR mostly just above the undercast at 7000 feet at 2-4degC.

We flew very high on the first leg, at least at the DA40s advertised ceiling and were pleased to see 120-125 knots at even those altitudes, almost in the flight levels.

All in all, a very fun trip, made better by sharing the flying, good company and mostly fine weather.

Highlights: Dodging clouds at FL 165 or so; Cedar City folk, surely about the friendliest anywhere; skidding over the clouds in WV and watching them light up under the landing light; Rick's incredible flight planning using the iPad and getting cell coverage at FL110 or more.

Lowlight: Losing #4 EGT readings about 5 minutes after departing Livermore; it went in and out all throughout the trip. I'll get it fixed with the next oil change.

Some pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/tburling/s ... 522458306/

Tim
Private pilot & IR
N395JP
DA40.410
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Re: Livermore California to Roanoke Virginia

Post by Kai »

Beautiful pictures, Tim! Thanks for sharing.
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
jjatrose
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N278PA
Airports: KGSO

Re: Livermore California to Roanoke Virginia

Post by jjatrose »

Those were amazing pictures! What an adventure..