N807DS across Europe

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Re: N807DS across Europe

Post by Antoine »

Hi Bartek

LIRU is a fantastic destination. in the middle of Rome. the airport itself also very nice and they even have... a major Diamond Aircraft service center.
I can give you nice advice on visiting Rome - just PM. It was dazzling, not to mention the ... shopping!
now the small print:
LIRU is a VFR only airport located so near to Rome's two main airports that you actually fly an IFR arrival right into URB... which is almost above the runway.
VFR arrivals are very tricky - I have the charts.
IFR departures are subject to delays due to commercial traffic. We had to taxi back to parking and wait 30 min.
both landing and departures are challenging due to the IFR-VFR transition in dense traffic, but still, well worth it.
I can also strongly recommend Venice Lido LIPV. This is only a short boat hop from the city, and a terrific airfield (grass but good). Approach same style as LIRU.

N807DS back home. We even got a free aircraft wash tunnel on leaving Rome!
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

LIRU is where N446DC comes from. That's where I did the test fly in summer 2009. I remember trees where very close to threshold when landing on RWY 16 (and the air very bumpy) !
Nice airfield for visiting Rome, only 20 min taxi from downtown.
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Yes they are a very active reseller. back then they offered me N693DS but we could not agree on the price...
Graham
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Graham
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: CYKZ

Post by Graham »

Hi Antoine

I am in Mykonos now and the winds a something else. I commend your xwind skills! I was watching the departures to the north and noticed all the IFR traffic doing a quick turn to the north, I don't have an IFR chart so was wondering if you know why the quick turn? Interesting cloud formation over the hills with the winds, must have been a great view. Did you take any pictures?