N807DS across Europe

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Re: N807DS across Europe

Post by Antoine »

Hi Robin

Congrats on your renewal. I also just did my BFR (for the FAA license) plus the JAR equivalent (sigh...).
Please do post your video.
I have just managed to crop the one presenting our IFR landing in Jersey. It's still crappy (iphone doesn't like the prop) but at least not long enough to be boring - I hope...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_DDeRIBPQc

Will also post the video of our gusty cross wind landing in Norwich... later.
Robin
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robin
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: VH-JRZ
Airports: YMPC POINT COOK, MELBOURNE

Post by Robin »

Hi Antoine

Awesome video, great approach with really, really low minimums. I am glad I that here is Australia, most ILS approaches are down to about 350' AGL with 1.5 KM Visibility.

It seems your approaches are lower than that above.

I shall post my ILS into Essendon yesterday.

Have a great trip.

Robin
Robin
DA-40XLS 40.1078
VH-JRZ, Australia
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

Well I'm glad you also find it "minimum". I have in the meantime watched a couple of similar Youtube videos and it seems some people are much more daring and deliberately landing with literally zero ceilings. That is putting a lot of faith in Synthetic Vision I suppose...

Since we don't have SynVis in the G1000 I don't have the temptation anyway, but I certainly missed it on this specific approach...
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

Antoine,
I would love to have GFC700 rather than KAP-140 for approaches. But, SVT is very helpful when we usually take over KAP-140 on final, usually before minimums. I prefer hand fly rather than let the KAP-140 do the job thanks to SVT. I wouldn't go under minimums though.
BUT, if I where flying in Switzerland, I would definitely appreciate SVT. When coming back VFR from Corsica in the steam gauges C177, we entered a cloud layer in a valley between Gap and Grenoble. We started a descent, it didn't last long before we came out of it but I wished I had my SVT PFD in front of me at that particular moment !
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Aart
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Aart
Aircraft Type: DA42
Airports:

Post by Aart »

Antoine wrote:Well I'm glad you also find it "minimum". I have in the meantime watched a couple of similar Youtube videos and it seems some people are much more daring and deliberately landing with literally zero ceilings. That is putting a lot of faith in Synthetic Vision I suppose...

Since we don't have SynVis in the G1000 I don't have the temptation anyway, but I certainly missed it on this specific approach...
I did quite some landings in a DA42NG that comes with SynVis. All in VFR conditions. the image of the runway on the G1000 was almost accurate, let's say 2-3 m off the real world. Landing it without looking outside would probably have been rough, but survivable. I would never recommend someone to use SynVis to bust minimums, but in an emergency it would definitively be a life saver, provided RAIM integrity is ensured I guess.

OK Antoine, you have done an impressive IFR tour. Treat yourself to a severe VFR trip and come over here. Bring Jean, because apart from the fact that I generally like Belgian people, he may be able to bring some Duvel beer, clearly lacking here on this island!
Flew straight over your field in Lausanne yesterday, Basel-Mallorca. The views on that route towards the Alps always amaze me, as a flatlander Dutchy.
Aart
DA42.332 PH-CCD LESB (Palma de Mallorca, Spain)
Robin
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robin
Aircraft Registration: VH-JRZ
Airports: YMPC POINT COOK, MELBOURNE

Post by Robin »

Antoine, Jean, Aart

I would not put my faith in the synthetic vision and fly a blind approach, except in an emergency. We have minimums for safety, and I much prefer to be a member of the "live cowards club". I cannot understand why some choose to push the boundaries like I have also seen on youtube. A few times I have cancelled IFR flights even though the ceilings were just above the minimums, I like to personally have more than the minimum.

Aart I agree with you how accurate the synthetic vision is, some of my videos (in this forum) done VFR, you can see the PFD showing the centreline and runway numbers, with the outside view being exactly the same.

With one IFR renewal test, the ATO (testing officer) wanted to switch off the synthetic vision, and wanted me to fly just off the CDI, which I do anyway, but its really nice to looking at the green ring of where you will end up. Having that extra situational awareness is worth its weight in gold.

Safe Flying

Cheers :D
Robin
DA-40XLS 40.1078
VH-JRZ, Australia
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

Aart, Id love to. Let s plan for next spring?
Robin: I share your point of view, during the Jersey landing I was 1-2 seconds from going missed.
And we had postponed that flight already due to weather below minima...
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

Aart wrote:OK Antoine, you have done an impressive IFR tour. Treat yourself to a severe VFR trip and come over here. Bring Jean, because apart from the fact that I generally like Belgian people, he may be able to bring some Duvel beer, clearly lacking here on this island!
OK Aart, I promise that next time I fly to LESB I will bring as much Duvel as W&B allows :)
BTW, which alternate (besides LEPA) do you file when flying home ?
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Aart
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Aart
Aircraft Type: DA42
Airports:

Post by Aart »

Antoine, Jean,
Next spring sounds good. I may just be able to make that with the local beer.
Alternate: I usually file just LEPA, because it is hard to imagine a circumstance where LEPA would not be available. Next best option: LEIB, no expensive obligatory handling, usually better wx
Aart
DA42.332 PH-CCD LESB (Palma de Mallorca, Spain)
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

OK Aart, Jean, let's plan Palma for next spring :-D and Aart, please do stop over next time you go to Basel.

Meanwhile, here is the new travel plan for N807DS. We're going eastbound this time, and I am accompanied by a lovely blonde BUT very competent female navigator. (I hope she never reads this!!!)

Monday (July 9)
Lausanne - Lido Venezia
Lido - Split

After crossing the Alps and a leg at FL150 in the A airspace of northern italy, we expect a stunning view and ...a fine lunch in the Venice area. The Lido Venzia airfield is a very nice one, take a look!
Then we'll take 2 days to explore Split.
We originally wanted Dubrovnik but B&B and hotels have become such a ripoff that we got upset. These guys are now offering their dog's house with furniture recovered from a scrap yard for €100 a night! Let them keep it! :tap: Too bad, as I have great memories of the very nice welcome at Dubrovnik airport. Split seems much less GA-friendly.

Wednesday (July 11)
Split - Kerkira (very early wake-up and just a refueling and paperwork stop) I PRAY that it won't last long, because:
Kerkira - Sitia (Creta) - airport closes at 1600 local (!) we'd better not get headwinds on this leg!!!!

This btw is going to be a challenge for my dear navigator, as the second leg might last a bit longer than a lady likes to sit in a plane.......

We'll spend 3 days on Creta and meet friends there.

Then it's off to Mykonos - one week of PAAAARTYYY 8-)

We have not yet planned the trip back home, suggestions are welcome.

Safe flying everyone. I'll report as usual.