N807DS across Europe

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Thomas
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: D-ENMA 40.337
Airports: LSZC BUOCHS SWITZERLAND

Re: N807DS across Europe

Post by Thomas »

Antoine ... We, my wife and I were in Venice LIDO LIPV on Monday 09 June, arr 10:20LT. Departed back to Buochs LSZC today 11:20LT VFR arcoss the alps, was a bit of a challange, managed it finally via Locarno-Domodossola-Jungfraujoch (13`000ft) rapid decent in spirals in a cloud hole to Wengen/Lauterbrunnen below clouds to 4500ft.
2 Fantastic days in Venice. Thats VFR...
Did not see you there on Monday.
Thomas

Aart and friends, ...looking forward for a "Palma Fly In" in spring. I bring the cheese ..... from Switzerland.
Thomas Bienz DA40-180 40.337 D-ENMA (sold 08/2022)
Home Airport LSZC Buochs Switzerland
Aart
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Aart
Aircraft Type: DA42
Airports:

Post by Aart »

Great Thomas!

Cheese is great but not too big holes in them please!
Antoine, before you are allowed to our fly-in, please specify the goods you bring..

Please propose a couple of suitable dates all of you. I suppose it would be a (extended) weekend. We need a target weekend but also a fall back. I know Antoine will now fly in any weather and Thomas also seems to know where to find a hole, but maybe others like VFR-conditions better..

I will arrange hotel and logistics.

Anyone else joining in?
Aart
DA42.332 PH-CCD LESB (Palma de Mallorca, Spain)
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Hi guys sorry for late reply, getting roasted inCrete (40 degrees C)
Thomas! Amazing... And frustrating... I think I saw your plane, we arrived 1130 local and left at 1500 i think... Too bad we could have had lunch together...
Aart: really would love to! Lets discuss dates when I get home...
See u gtg
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

Nonooo please just stay here and make yourselves at home. I am away anyway, so the thread is all yours! There's beer in the fridge and the smelly thing is swiss cheese.

It looks like we really should organize some fly ins. I'm all for it.
Btw N807DS says hello from Mykonos. We departed Sitia, LGST the funniest ever greek airport yesterday. It is worth a thread of its own!!! VFR flight with strong headwind in a hazy sunset.
The hellenic civil aviation finally let us have a parking position for 5 days, but our immediate neighbour was a biig helicopter whose pilot told me that he was planning on a full payload tkof today.
So se moved N807DS away from the eye of the storm and squeezed it between a C172 and a Piper.
Mykonos is very hot, now it s time to go rent a noisy moped
Cheers
Graham
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Graham
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: CYKZ

Post by Graham »

Antoine wrote:Mykonos is very hot, now it s time to go rent a noisy moped
Cheers
Hey Antoine, how long are you going to be there? I am arriving there mid next week but without my plane...too far from Toronto!
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

Hey Graham I hope it's the same next week :D we are departing friday july 20th, as civil aviation politely asked us to get out of their GS parking... So we will be heading to a nice Croatian island we overflew 10 days ago. It s called Losinj and has a nice airport too.

So are you in Mykonos this week?

To everyone else: we're practicing crosswind moped here. Holy moly now I know why it was the Greek who invented Eole!
Bartek
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bartek
Aircraft Registration: D-GJHO
Airports: EPOM

Post by Bartek »

Hi Antoine,
Losnij airport is cute and some interesting place to see (barrack resambles me some old railway station building). But they have customs there, some serious customs lady and AVGAS. Really nice spot on the map, I was there last year for a few hours, in August I think I will fly for some longer time. Having just few hours I went to Artartore (small village close to airport with a nice bay), but except swimming - the place does not have much to offer. I was told Malij Losnij is much better place to stay.
Cheers
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

Hi Bartek, thanks for your advice. It looks like we wont have much choice, Losinj is quasi fully booked, but I will try and get into Mali Losinj.

Mykonos is really a nice place. The scenery is not really pretty, but they have built very charming houses and have lovely beaches. The island is full of tourists, many gays, but also lots of girls. Party all over, and in particular on the beaches, all night long.

Rather expensive compared to Greece, but since it is generally more upmarket, this is ok.

We are still trying to get HCAA to let N807DS spend one more night on their windy Tarmac...

now going to bed, its getting late, I mean... 10 AM :D
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

Mykonos would not have us for any more time :( so we re leaving for lack of parkng space...
We had a blast here despite the ... wind.
This Meltem is a real pain. 7 beaufort gusting to 8-9, you should see the waves it makes... and imagine riding a scooter...
This aside, Mykonos is really a terrific "fun" stopover -, if you don't mind the large gay community -we didn't and they were actually very friendly, stylish and sophisticated people who showed great respect and were never overpowering, even in the gay club we went to.

Because of the weather that's developing on the adriatic region we have changed our plans: it will be Rome as of tomorrow. There is a lovely little GA airport, LIRU, right in the city, and our flight planning foresees landing at 1700 local time with a 90 minute stopover in Corfou. We look forward to seeing Rome close-up before landing!

We will thave to ake off in brutal wind here, and we'll try to make a video...
Bartek
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bartek
Aircraft Registration: D-GJHO
Airports: EPOM

Post by Bartek »

Hi Antoine,
How did you like LIRU? Of course if you try to forget the fuel prices there...
Is it indeed that convinent for Rome sightseeing?