Bay Area to San Diego and Catalina Island

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: Bay Area to San Diego and Catalina Island

Post by Colin »

Wait, why would you DRIVE to Montgomery instead of just dropping in from above? Was it something you needed to make that short flight?

And I think there's a light rail that can take you from KSAN to Montgomery Field.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Artiom
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Artiom
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by Artiom »

Such a short flight in rented plane doesn't make economical sense :)
That was multipoint affeir - my family wanted to spend some time in Balboa park, I had to pick up my laggage from the hotel and pick up something from Montgomey Field. Besides I wanted to try Leaf.
Artiom
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Artiom »

And I got stuck today at Catalina Island. There is only one road that goes between airport and the town. Today some tractor trailer broke up on that road and shut down the road just couple minutes before our shuttle left the town. The driver turned around and brought us back to town. We agreed it would be better to wait in town instead of waiting somewhere on the road. At some point I decided it would be better to stay one more night instead of trying to take off and be on the ground on time because I run out of the night currency. We stayed in very nice hotel - Glenmore Hotel in the downtown. Highly recommended.
I guess I have to write it down for the guys who just like me are not familiar with the island and making their first trip here.
The airport looks like a carrier. First landing here may be a though one. Runway is 3000' long but has a small bump in the middle which makes it look like a half way long. There is a shuttle to the town. Landing fee is $25, overnight parking $15, shuttle to the town adult $26, kid $21 two ways. Shuttle leave at even hour, comes back at odd. Call airport before arrival for exact schedule. We landed around 5PM and when secured the plane 5PM shuttle has already left. We had a dinner at on-field restaurant and watched sunset from 04 end of the runway - breathtaking! Ride to the town is 45 minutes. They drop you off at Tour Plaza. Glanmore Hotel is just around the corner.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Colin »

There is also another little town in the other direction called Two Harbors. I believe the shuttles are less frequent to that side. There are almost no tourists there. There is one hotel, which also does "tent service" to a camp ground where they provide bedding and a tent for the tent platforms.
Artiom
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Artiom »

I guess I'll have to come back to Catalina Island and check it out :)
Two days is not enough to explore that island.
On the way back I stopped at Camarillo for fuel and food. Food at Waypoint restaurant was really good. Thanks again for suggestion.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Colin »

A couple times while eating at The Waypoint I have sat at the same table with Harrison Ford. There's a guy who can talk airplanes. There was a wonderful moment when a guy suggested his Stearman was more difficult to land than Harrison's Waco. We got a little of the Indiana Jones, "The HELL it is!" rising out of his seat. Then he smiled.

I'd love to be that good a pilot.