Spain / Malaga / Mallorca

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

bohkmx
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: BoB
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: OY-OMM
Airports: LSGS

Spain / Malaga / Mallorca

Post by bohkmx »

"Fun" little story from Malaga in Spain in the DA42 last week

Due to cutbacks there was only 1 fuel guy is this pretty big airport. So I waited and waited more than 1 hour to get the fuel. Ok fair enough. I went to the bathroom a final time. A guy from the GA office run after me and told me I needed to come back and pay more as some other office called him and said I parked longer and therefore had to pay extra.

Hmm.. Already now I would be landing in the twilight so I wanted this to go fast.. but we had to wait for first one fax from the other office to cancel the 232 euro bill then wait for a new fax with the new amount as they could not say what I had to pay. Anyway the other fax came and the difference was 1 euro and 13 cents. I smacked down 5 euro and said "I am off" but he would not allowed to take cash and had to pay with credit card again 1.13 euro. Finally got in the air 1.5 hours late and had to do a night landing in Ibiza which I had not planned for. Getting angry would have just added more time so I paid for the "extra" parking time due to their slow fuel times.

Spain seems to create more and more rules these days... Son Bonet in Mallorca now closes at 1645 local time (1545 UTC). Had to go to service in Reus (LERS) and again needed to stay in Mallorca 2 nights so I had to land in the big airport in Palma (LEPA). One night landing and forced handling 388 euros. Thanks, you are welcome, where LESB is only 6-7 euros or a difference of 50-60 times the price.

BoB
Gasser
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeff
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N415AM
Airports: KADH

Re: Spain / Malaga / Mallorca

Post by Gasser »

That's one really good way to guarantee you'll not get repeat customers. There should be a way to add a red mark next to airports on fore flight as a reminder of poor service.
Here in the US I have found more often than not the best service I can imagine. Even only being a 40 gallon gas tank I get treated like a king 99% of the time.
Jeff

PRIVATE PILOT, IFR
2005 DA40 SOLD
2006 SR22, A/C, TKS, AVIDYINE PFD/MFD, IFD 540/440, AXP322 remote ADS-B TRANSPONDER, AMX240 AUDIO PANEL, MLB100 ADS B in.
168 KTAS 9,000' msl @ 13.6 gph LOP. 1005 pound useful load.
Aart
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Aart
Aircraft Type: DA42
Airports:

Post by Aart »

Jeff,
I can't help repeating often enough that you in NA live in aviation paradise..
Another funny thing about the large airport in Mallorca:
When Bo and I took his plane from there to the small GA airport (3 miles away), VFR, they wanted us to get a slot. Mind you, this is winter time, and at that particular hour there were no departures whatsoever... Anyway, we got our slot and out we went taxying for about ten minutes. But it seemed that ground control also noted that there was hardly any traffic and took the opportunity for a nice little siesta. So we found us head-to-head with an Ryanair 737 that had just landed. :shock: We both stopped and presumably waked up the controller on the radio. Ahh well, Bo got some entertainment for his 500+ US$ landing/handling bill..
I was the winner that day, flying the VI. Nice machine folks!
Aart
DA42.332 PH-CCD LESB (Palma de Mallorca, Spain)
Gasser
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Gasser »

Scary stuff.

That V1 used in a few years sounds like a possible upgrade. Looking forward to hearing more about it as people get experience in it.
Jeff

PRIVATE PILOT, IFR
2005 DA40 SOLD
2006 SR22, A/C, TKS, AVIDYINE PFD/MFD, IFD 540/440, AXP322 remote ADS-B TRANSPONDER, AMX240 AUDIO PANEL, MLB100 ADS B in.
Aart
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Aart
Aircraft Type: DA42
Airports:

Post by Aart »

Jeff,
Go and wash your mouth with soap ;) It is VI, not V1. Although it is a bit faster, you won't find many used V1's..
Aart
DA42.332 PH-CCD LESB (Palma de Mallorca, Spain)
Gasser
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Gasser »

Aart wrote:Jeff,
Go and wash your mouth with soap ;) It is VI, not V1. Although it is a bit faster, you won't find many used V1's..
Sorry. :D . Did they change it at one time as I just watched a video of one the other day and it clearly had a sticker on the front that was "V1" not VI.

I can see why they would want to change it though :oops:

Jeff

PRIVATE PILOT, IFR
2005 DA40 SOLD
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

Austrian guy with a moustache in front of a V1.... haven't we had this before? :scratch: :D :D

Seriously, if you guys didn't know: Thanks to the intervention of Aart and other thoughtful members of DAN the name of the DA42 formerly named "V1" has been renamed to DA42VI. Thanks again, Aart! See the full story here CLICK

@Bo: the story you are telling us is so typical for Spain. No wonder why the Spain is drowning.
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Gasser
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Gasser »

Kai wrote:Austrian guy with a moustache in front of a V1.... haven't we had this before? :scratch: :D :D

Seriously, if you guys didn't know: Thanks to the intervention of Aart and other thoughtful members of DAN the name of the DA42 formerly named "V1" has been renamed to DA42VI. Thanks again, Aart! See the full story here CLICK

@Bo: the story you are telling us is so typical for Spain. No wonder why the Spain is drowning.
Sorry, I'm behind the times.
Jeff

PRIVATE PILOT, IFR
2005 DA40 SOLD