SF Bay tour with circuitous ground track

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

SF Bay tour with circuitous ground track

Post by Chris B »

Here is the ground track for a SF Bay tour yesterday:
Bay tour ground track.PNG
FYI, here is the flight report: link

The numerous circles over HAF are while we were negotiating entry into Bravo.
The 5 nm excursion towards Hawaii was to avoid a close encounter (~1 sm) with a Lufthansa 747 departing from SFO. Right through our flight path. :shock:

Here are a few iPhone-quality photos:
Golden Gate & Vista Point.jpg
Bay Bridge.jpg
Note that demolition of the old span is underway.
Golden Gate from Marin Headlands.jpg
"Hawk Hill" is in the foreground, and is the best place in CA to view the fall raptor migration (up to 200/hr).

2 hours of glorious fun, for 12 gallons of 100LL. :thumbsup:

Chris
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: SF Bay tour with circuitous ground track

Post by CFIDave »

Chris:
Any secrets for getting permission to enter the SFO Bravo airspace? (We can *never* get permission to enter the Bravo flying VFR where I live in the DC area.) It looks like you flew right by KSFO.

I plan on flying our DA42 to both the SFO and San Diego areas this summer, and (assuming few marine layer clouds) want to make a sight-seeing flight similar to yours. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
- Dave
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Chris B »

CFIDave wrote:Chris:
Any secrets for getting permission to enter the SFO Bravo airspace? (We can *never* get permission to enter the Bravo flying VFR where I live in the DC area.) It looks like you flew right by KSFO.

I plan on flying our DA42 to both the SFO and San Diego areas this summer, and (assuming few marine layer clouds) want to make a sight-seeing flight similar to yours. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
- Dave
Hi Dave -

I find NorCal quite accommodating and helpful. Occasionally you will run into a controller who is having a bad day, but if you sound competent they work hard to fit small aircraft into the flow.

The magic words are "if able, request flight following for a Bay Tour" (which displays in the ATC system comments as "2UR"). Occasionally the low-level (1500') transition is closed near SFO, but so far I have never been denied a 3500' transition. You will be given a discrete squawk code, with instructions to maintain 1500' or 3500', stay west of Highway 101 (aka "Bayshore Freeway"), and NW of the Bay Bridge. AFAIK, the rest of the Bravo surface area is always closed. NorCal handles all of the radio traffic, except for the surface area around SFO, or within the airspace of the various smaller airports.

Once away from the immediate vicinity of SFO, I generally maintain about 2000'. On the western shore of the Peninsula you generally need to fly at least above 3000' to stay on radar. I've found that NorCal appreciates hearing your intentions, and then usually keeps you on flight following as long as you remain on radar.

FYI, with typical weather patterns, the key areas that NorCal protects are:
  • SFO Landing corridor for Rwy 28
  • SFO Departure corridor for Rwy 1
  • OAK Departure corridor for Rwy 30
I'm based in the south bay, and usually fly an arc NW up the SF Peninsula, over SF to Alcatraz & the Golden Gate, up to Point Reyes, then double-back over to Tiburon/San Quentin and return down the east bay hills. But as in this case (flown in reverse), another fun route is up the SF Peninsula, over SF & the Golden Gate (etc.), and then back down the west side of the Peninsula to HAF.

IMO, HAF is spectacular. The marine layer usually burns off by about noon. A large selection of great places to eat is accessible through a gate at the south end of the field. The LPV approach over the bay is easy, with a glorious 5000'x150' runway. So I often land at HAF through the marine layer for brunch and then depart VFR.

Other tips:
  1. If able, fly the tour on a weekday or early Sunday morning. Weekends are sometimes exciting with all the traffic. ;)
  2. Don't circle over the Golden Gate. NorCal really does not like this.
  3. Check TFRs. The SF Giants stadium is smack in the path of typical bay tours. And our president seems to regularly stop for cash at NUQ, which basically closes the Peninsula...
  4. "Mid-span" of the San Mateo Bridge is *not* the middle of the bridge. It is the middle of the low flat section east of the arched bridge, and shown as "VPMID" on the VFR charts. Flying to the apparent middle of the bridge puts you right in the approach path for SFO Rwy 28. DAMHIKT... :oops:
  5. Transitioning over OAK is usually over the 30 numbers (biggest runway, closest to the bay).
  6. Transitioning over SJC is typically mid-field.
  7. Generally the cheapest place for fuel in the Bay Area (100LL or Jet-A) is LVK. Usually this is my next-to-last destination when returning from a trip.
  8. If you like coffee, my favorite spot at HAF for brunch is "Cafe Classique" (Yelp link).
  9. NorCal telephone for HAF: 916-361-3829
Here are some 5x8" documents that you might find useful:
  • Map of Oakland Center frequencies - link
  • Listing of NorCal TRACON sector frequencies - link
  • Los Angeles VFR transition routes (snips from sectional) - link
Let me know when you are coming. We can have an impromptu Diamond fly-out! :D

Chris
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Chris B »

Hi Dave -

One other key point.

Sometimes the marine layer creeps back around sunset. With an IFR rating this is obviously less of an issue, but there has been at least one fatal CFIT where a pilot got trapped under the developing marine layer. And NorCal will obviously not be happy with an unexpected Bravo entry to avoid weather.

So although sunset flights are stunning, watch the weather carefully!

Chris