Flying near the Grand Canyon

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Flying near the Grand Canyon

Post by CFIDave »

Rick wrote:So how does one land at L41, Marble Canyon airport, which lies below the 8000' SFRA? That looks like it might be fun, if I were sure it was legal...
Read the fine print on the chart near Marble Canyon airport: "Landing/Take-off operations below 3000' above airport elevation within 3 NM of the airport are authorized by 14 CFR Section 93"

So you can dip below Sector altitudes within the SFRA for landing at airports located within the SFRA -- provided you stay within 3 miles of the airport.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

CFIDave wrote:
Rick wrote:So how does one land at L41, Marble Canyon airport, which lies below the 8000' SFRA? That looks like it might be fun, if I were sure it was legal...
Read the fine print on the chart near Marble Canyon airport: "Landing/Take-off operations below 3000' above airport elevation within 3 NM of the airport are authorized by 14 CFR Section 93"

So you can dip below Sector altitudes within the SFRA for landing at airports located within the SFRA -- provided you stay within 3 miles of the airport.
I saw that funny-worded note - it actually appears many places on the chart - but it wasn't clear to me what allows me to descend from 8000' and 6600' (3000' about the 3600' airport). But then, what's the point of having an airport there if nobody can get to it, right? :scratch:
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

I asked my son, a Cherokee driver who lives in Phoenix. He said:
It’s on my to do list but whenever I'm in Page and consider popping over there, it has been kind of windy and warming up. I hear from some of the local pilots that it gets a little hairy if the wind is blowing much at all since it sits in the canyon and has the smaller gorge with the river running right next to it. Sounds like the lodge is a decent place for a meal and an old fashioned night’s stay if that’s what you’re looking for.
I neglected to ask but from his description, it sounds like you would want be familiar with canyon flying, especially turns if you don't like what you see.
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by rwtucker »

I followed up with a question about the FAA restrictions.
Marble Canyon is pretty easy, well away from the special flight paths, but still under the SFRA. Probably just need to watch out for air tour traffic, as it looks like they regularly transit the area low level to/from Page. If I were him, I’d call an FBO in Page and ask a pilot/instructor in the area a few questions.
Classic is one recommendation (928-645-5356).
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Thanks a bunch, Robert! I'll ask lots of questions at Page when we stop for fuel.

We are now almost halfway there, stopping to spend the night in Kansas City. So far, so good...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by rwtucker »

Bring back some canyon pictures for the rest of us. I looked back at mine and almost every one is hazy.