EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2014

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2014

Post by CFIDave »

Is anyone interested in getting a group of Diamond pilots together -- perhaps for lunch -- at Oshkosh next week?

I will be there all week accompanying my pilot wife who has "booth duty" at the FAA exhibit where she'll be helping to answer questions about NextGen. (I also suggested she wear a flak jacket ;) given the contentious relationship between the FAA and EAA members since the FAA forced EAA to pay for ATC services at Oshkosh; she had nothing to do with that unpopular decision.) So any day for a get-together works for me.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Re: EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2014

Post by carym »

Dave,
I do hope to go there for one of the weekend days (don't know which yet). I would love to get together again for lunch.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

I just learned the bad news. I no longer have an airworthy airplane. Apparently, MT props on a DA42 need to be overhauled at 2400 hours or 72 months, which ever comes first. Since my 72 months was over in March 2013, and the overhaul is required to maintain air worthiness, I need to send the props out for overhaul before flying again. At the same time, I am just 15 hours shy of having to do my 300 hour clutch replacement, so that is going to occur as well. Thus, I won't be flying to OSH this year (and couldn't afford to buy anything anyway). I was living under the false pretense that there wasn't a mandatory prop overhaul for the DA42. It is at times like this that I wish I had a single engine plane rather than a twin :)
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
HPNAviator
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Stephen
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KHPN

Post by HPNAviator »

Dave, I plan to arrive on Saturday (helping my friend fly his recently completed Velocity SE from Florida to Oshkosh and then back to White Plains) with plans to depart on either Wednesday or Thursday depending on the weather. I would very much like to meet up if at all possible. Perhaps Tuesday for lunch would work?
ihfanjv
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: None
Airports:

Post by ihfanjv »

carym wrote:Apparently, MT props on a DA42 need to be overhauled at 2400 hours or 72 months, which ever comes first.
As a Part 91 operator, are you sure these limits apply to you? They probably do not. I believe that as a Part 91 operator these service limits or factory TBOs do not apply and are for reference only, and that the propellers can remain in service "on condition."

The Part 91 operator issue regarding TBO limits is discussed in the following page (search the page for the word "propeller"): http://blog.aopa.org/opinionleaders/201 ... ake-sense/

Of course, a service center will likely tell you that it is not an option to go past TBO. But, that appears not to be the case under the law.

Good luck.
GLDAS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N969GL
Airports: LL10

Post by GLDAS »

I'll be @ OSH as an EAA member, camping in Camp Scholler. I'm planning a small BBQ at the RV on Tues PM and would welcome any DAN friends to join us. Nothing fancy - burgers, brats, and barley pop. There will be other Diamond owners and at least one from London, and if you're able to make it, please PM me so I can provide the location once we're there (and have enough chairs). There is easy bus transport to the campground from the Bus Depot.

-dan
dan@greatlakesdiamond.com
Dan P. Eldridge
Great Lakes Diamond
JimP
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jim
Aircraft Registration: N239DS
Airports: KANE

Post by JimP »

Dave,
I plan to be there on Thursday through Sunday and would join you if it gets scheduled later in the week.
Jim
2007 DA40
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

Hi Dave -

I plan to be there on Wednesday through Saturday morning and would love to join you if it gets scheduled later in the week. Given the wildly varying responses, I suggest you pick a day/time that works best for you! :D

Chris
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Now that we've had an opportunity for people to express interest and travel plans, it looks like later in the week might work best. So for anyone who wants to get together at Oshkosh, let's try:

Thursday, July 31
12:00 noon
At the EAA Brown Arch, located near the center of the viewing area overlooking the runway. If you're not familiar with the Brown Arch, it looks like this:
http://rightseatflying.com/wp-content/u ... G_0259.jpg

It's not far from where there's usually lots of food, so we can walk from there.

I plan on wearing a Diamond Aircraft dark blue baseball cap, and look forward to meeting other pilots and owners.
- Dave
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

CFIDave wrote:Thursday, July 31
12:00 noon
At the EAA Brown Arch, located near the center of the viewing area overlooking the runway.
Excellent! I look forward to seeing you on Thursday!

Chris