Looking for recommendations South-East US

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

robert63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: OE-FAR
Airports: LOWL

Looking for recommendations South-East US

Post by robert63 »

Hi folks!
We will fly our DA42 from Europe to US from mid June to end of July and are looking for nice places to fly to. I'm particularly interested in nice airports, locations and people particularly in NY, NJ, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, LA, MS, TN, KY, WV, OH, IN, IL and Bahamas. Our interest is in nature, horses, music, cozy places and cities plus aviation, of course.
I already did a lot of planning, but I hope you could give me some more ideas. Thanks in advance.
Robert
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Re: Looking for recommendations South-East US

Post by Tim H »

You may consider the Dayton Wright-Brothers airport (KMGY) (Commander Aero is the FBO) and a trip to the United States Air Force Museum. You could easily spend and entire day at the museum. While in town, you may consider a tour of the Wright Brothers home (1/2 day at most).
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I don't know how you can come all the way across the ocean and not want to traverse the continent, since it is so manageable in your plane. The Rockies are absolutely stunning to see. Not the Alps, but still stunning. And the West coast is beautiful. Lots of horse stuff in the west. If you are in Louisiana you have to stop in New Orleans for jazz (and lots of other music).
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
DavidS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Airports: KHEF

Post by DavidS »

Not sure what exactly you're looking for, but Tangier Island (KTGI) is a local favorite in Virginia. It's a step back into the past to say the least. I'd also try to drop by First Flight (KFFA) (make sure you're brushed up on direct x-wind of the oceans), as well as Ocracoke Island (W95). Elizabeth City (KECG) had some really cheap fuel last time I was headed down to the Carolinas. Just stay out of the way of the C130s. :)

There's a couple resorts in Virginia that have airports, though I can only recall the name of one: Sky Bryce (VG18), which is 2240' paved. Another one that folks like is up in PA, Nemacolin (PA88).

I'll also second the WPAFB Museum suggestion. It's amazing. Also try to stop by DC and head to Udvar Hazy Air and Space museum as well.
robert63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by robert63 »

Colin wrote:I don't know how you can come all the way across the ocean and not want to traverse the continent, since it is so manageable in your plane. The Rockies are absolutely stunning to see. Not the Alps, but still stunning. And the West coast is beautiful. Lots of horse stuff in the west.).
Yes, I understand. But we have already travelled the West several times and decided to see other parts now. We hope to see lots of horses in Kentucky. :)
robert63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by robert63 »

Tim H wrote:You may consider the Dayton Wright-Brothers airport (KMGY) (Commander Aero is the FBO) and a trip to the United States Air Force Museum. You could easily spend and entire day at the museum. While in town, you may consider a tour of the Wright Brothers home (1/2 day at most).
Thanks, thats a good stop before we go to Chicago.
robert63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by robert63 »

DavidS wrote:Not sure what exactly you're looking for, but Tangier Island (KTGI) is a local favorite in Virginia. It's a step back into the past to say the least. I'd also try to drop by First Flight (KFFA) (make sure you're brushed up on direct x-wind of the oceans), as well as Ocracoke Island (W95). Elizabeth City (KECG) had some really cheap fuel last time I was headed down to the Carolinas. Just stay out of the way of the C130s. :)

There's a couple resorts in Virginia that have airports, though I can only recall the name of one: Sky Bryce (VG18), which is 2240' paved. Another one that folks like is up in PA, Nemacolin (PA88).

I'll also second the WPAFB Museum suggestion. It's amazing. Also try to stop by DC and head to Udvar Hazy Air and Space museum as well.
Yes, KTGI and KFFA are already on our list. Will consider Ocracoke, too. :thumbsup:
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Post by Tim H »

Oshkosh? (July 25 - July 31). Now that's worth the trip.
curts63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Curt
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N215CS
Airports: 22N

Post by curts63 »

I'm not sure about any airports close by, but I like the Glenn Curtiss Aviation Museum in Hammondsport, NY. Great collection of historical airplanes, motorcycles, and automobiles. There are Bed & Breakfast places nearby and the area has wine tours all over the Finger Lakes Region.
robert63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by robert63 »

Tim H wrote:Oshkosh? (July 25 - July 31). Now that's worth the trip.
Yes, we will be there. :D