Chicago Agreement / Fuel Stop / Confusion

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Re: Chicago Agreement / Fuel Stop / Confusion

Post by Rick »

CFIDave wrote:My favorite place to fly internationally is Canada, because all you do (besides filing a flight plan, and filing an eAPIS manifest) is call them at least 2 hours before arrival on the CANPASS number (you don't even need to sign up for the CANPASS service unless you want to land at a smaller non-POE airport). When you land in Canada you just call them back on the same phone number saying you've arrived. Nobody ever shows up to inspect you, your plane, or your documents -- it's all done via a phone call and they say "you're good to go!"
That was my experience too, flying into London, Ontario. I made the phone call from the plane, and they said we were good to go, nobody even came out of the building. So then we went into the customs office because we wanted the stamps in our passports, and it took them forever just to find the stamp!
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

Sadly, those days are slowly coming to an end. Canada is setting up its own passenger manifest system, similar to the US, and the press has recently caught wind of rich people arriving by private jets and avoiding customs, which is perceived by the public as an unfair privilege for the elite, so they are increasing the numbers of inspections.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.3764527

I'm just hoping that the Canada and US manifests will be integrated and that submitting a notice of departure in one country will automatically file the notice of arrival in the other...
dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: OEFGM
Airports: EDLN

Post by dgger »

carym wrote:According to Wikipedia, the Chicago Convention applies to commercial flights. Since yours is not a commercial flight then I suspect the agreements mentioned don't hold. Just my guess.
I assume this must be it.

The U.S. does indeed allow non-schedule flights that operate for remuneration to do fuel stop and transit without visa and prior permission. What really confuses me is how that distinction between commercial and non-commercial flights came about. The Chicago Convention distinguishes between State and Private aircraft only. But well, I guess the rules are quite clear...
dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: OEFGM
Airports: EDLN

Post by dgger »

robert63 wrote:There is actually one possibility to avoid a B1/B2 visa for US.
You can fly to a Canadian airport close to the US border (i.e. CYAM). Then cross the border by car or just walk. Then you can go back and fly into the US with the stamp that you have in your passport.
You still need EAPIS and call the customs office at the airport of entry ahead and the decal and a flightplan plus proper documents. Don't forget to ask the officer that you call ahead for his initials, because this is the only proof that you did call him. If you don't call there is a fine of several thousand USD. After landing at the airport of entry taxi immediately to the customs office. We found all officers quite friendly and helpful as long as you follow the procedures.
That's an interesting one. Have you done this? When was this?

I was under the impression that you can only be admitted to the U.S. on a visa waiver basis if traveling onboard an authorized carrier i.e. entering by car, foot, etc. was out.
robert63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: OE-FAR
Airports: LOWL

Post by robert63 »

dgger wrote:
robert63 wrote:There is actually one possibility to avoid a B1/B2 visa for US.
You can fly to a Canadian airport close to the US border (i.e. CYAM). Then cross the border by car or just walk. Then you can go back and fly into the US with the stamp that you have in your passport.
You still need EAPIS and call the customs office at the airport of entry ahead and the decal and a flightplan plus proper documents. Don't forget to ask the officer that you call ahead for his initials, because this is the only proof that you did call him. If you don't call there is a fine of several thousand USD. After landing at the airport of entry taxi immediately to the customs office. We found all officers quite friendly and helpful as long as you follow the procedures.
That's an interesting one. Have you done this? When was this?

I was under the impression that you can only be admitted to the U.S. on a visa waiver basis if traveling onboard an authorized carrier i.e. entering by car, foot, etc. was out.
I haven't done this, but checked it out as an option when we did our trip this year. When you arrive by land you don't need an ESTA application, but you enter under the Visa Waiver Program being a German citizen. You don't need to be onboard an authorized carrier.
And then it says : If you are admitted to the United States under the VWP, you may take a short trip to Canada, Mexico, or a nearby island and generally be readmitted to the United States under the VWP for the remainder of the original 90 days granted upon your initial arrival in the United States. Therefore, the length of time of your total stay, including the short trip, must be 90 days or less.
We decided to get a B1/B2 visa instead to save us the time with this procedure.
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

I think that the eApis online account is something you have to set up early as well. I believe you have to wait a couple of weeks for confirmation before you can file your first report online.

I have crossed a half-dozen times now from Canada to the US by air and every time it was a quick and painless, and usually friendly and pleasant. I have heard that the US CBP in the East is crankier than the West. As for coming back into Canada, I have Canpass so I have never once met an officer coming back in.