Santa Barbara, sneaking off the field at KSBA

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Santa Barbara, sneaking off the field at KSBA

Post by Colin »

Aren't there some SBA pilots on here?

I want to drop my son tomorrow and I'll have the canopy open for all of six minutes. Both Signature and Atlantic want to charge $60 for the honor.

Scrolling around Google Maps with the Google Person, it LOOKS like there are some exits on the north edge, that if I pulled up by some tie downs by the fire station Rudy could hop out and slip out a gate there. Is that true?
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Paul
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: 600MU
Airports: KOGD

Re: Santa Barbara, sneaking off the field at KSBA

Post by Paul »

Colin,
Do you want me to post this on the Cirrus owners website? I know there are a few Cirrus pilots based at KSBA. I hate getting charged just for dropping someone off.
Paul
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

Colin, I'm based at KSBA on the Signature ramp. There is a gate there just south of the High Sierra Grill... but it requires a keycard for entry AND exit... and therefore that might be true for all the airport gates. You might call Above All Aviation (flight school) and I'd expect they'd let you drop off a passenger at their near-tower location.
Best regards,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

Colin,
Same here - hate airports that do not support simple GA flying. FBOs do need to make a profit but their fees should be waived if they are making money on fuel sales. Do they waive the fee if you take some of their (overpriced) fuel? Might cost a few bucks extra in fuel cost but not $60. It only takes me 8 gallons to fly to Boca Raton, but they waive their $35 landing fee if I take 10 gallons - so I make sure I show up needing 10 gallons. I think the Boca airport also collects $5 for the airport authority (non waive-able) - likely SB airport authority also wants their piece but maybe not for a small GA flyer --> from Skyvector "LANDING FEE FOR ALL PART 135 OPERATORS AND TRANSIENT AIRCRAFT WITH MAX GWT OF 10,000 LBS OR MORE. FEES COLLECTED AT FBO."

Option two would be to call up Santa Barbara Electronics Supply store that looks like they are on airport property with a gate access and some ramp area. Might be able to pull up to their ramp (avoiding the two FBOs) get some electrical connectors (I never have enough in my hangar) and a shiny new flashlight - and then roll back out. It is worth a call.

Good luck - remember pilots need to Aviate, Navigate, Communicate, and at SB, Duck-through-a-side-gate....
-Mark
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Paul, I'd be curious if the Cirrus pilots know of an open-from-the-inside gate.

Wayne, I might call Above All. I tried a maintenance place and they were okay with the drop off but they aren't open today. So I might stop there tomorrow. First I'll take Mark's suggestion and see if I can get Rudy through the fence for the price of a flashlight.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)