Diamonds to Appleton?

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Diamonds to Appleton?

Post by blsewardjr »

No room at the inn in Oshkosh yesterday so parked at the EAA grass parking at Appleton airport. Three other DA40's in my tie down row. More than I've ever seen at the North 40. Bernie
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Re: Diamonds to Appleton?

Post by blsewardjr »

So working the North 40 camping area tonight as an EAA aircraft greeter, I spotted 4 more DA40's as well as a DA62 from Germany. A good showing. Bernie
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

I was in Row 556 of the North 40 for Sunday and Monday, but had to leave Tuesday. I would be all over a "Diamonds to Oshkosh" next year.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I learned of at least 4 DA62s that flew to EAA Airventure Oshkosh: a white one all the way from Germany, an anthracite DA62 (one of our customers) from York PA, the blue demonstrator at the Diamond exhibit, and my gold one that flew from VA via NC. (I just realized that 3 of these are the exact aircraft shown in the photo I started using for my avatar/signature on DAN.)

I had to make a reservation weeks ago to park at the Oshkosh FBO ramp. In retrospect this was a smart (but expensive) move since GA parking at Oshkosh was already full when we arrived on Sunday before the Monday start of the event, and GA aircraft were being forced to land at other airports including Appleton.

The "Cessnas 2 Oshkosh", "Mooneys to Oshkosh," etc. mass arrival groups of similar aircraft types all meet up at nearby airports a few days before the event, and then fly in together on Saturday or Sunday. They do this mostly so they can all camp together as a group in the North 40. I'm not sure how many Diamond owners are into camping to facilitate a "Diamonds 2 Oshkosh" mass arrival.

Maybe next year we can all get together one day for lunch (something we've done in the past).
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI