Any interest in mutual aircraft sharing?

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: OEFGM
Airports: EDLN

Any interest in mutual aircraft sharing?

Post by dgger »

Dear Diamond Aviators,

Recently I have come to like exploring parts of the world that I do not call home. I find that a DA42 is a fine machine to do so. However, I also found (with very few exceptions) this is really hard to do unless you fly your own aircraft where you want it. Now, I am wondering, if there is any interest in this community to mutually let each others aircraft to allow us to fly in different parts of the world.

I am happy to let mine, which is an EASA-registered DA42NG currently in Tanzania (next stops will be South Africa and then South-East Asia), to any pilot who would let me his or hers in another part of this world. The idea here is to bi- or multilateraly agree on letting aircraft at cost to anyone who is also an owner, has a reasonable minimum of in-type experience, and agrees to let his or her aircraft in return.

Is there any interest in this kind of a scheme here?

Peter
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Re: Any interest in mutual aircraft sharing?

Post by TimS »

From what I have read previously, the problem will be pilot licenses. To fly an EASA registered plane, you need an EASA license. Same for N-Registered plane, you need a license from the FAA....
There are limited exceptions, but they mostly deal with the purchase of a plane.

Tim
dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dgger »

True.

I see two different ways how one could deal with this:

1. Share N-regs and EASA-registered Aircraft separately
I like to understand there are quite a few N-registered aircraft permanently outside the U.S.. These along with aircraft within the U.S. could easily be shared. This is also true for EASA aircraft as all countries registering them under the EASA umbrella allow any EASA-licensed pilot - even from a different country - to fly such an aircraft. This also works for aircraft that are temporarily in a country other than the country of registration.

2. License recognition
Admittedly I have not looked into this as it would not be my preferred way to go, but a temporary recognition of a license might work just as fine (or even a conversion, should time and money allow for it).
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

dgger wrote: 2. License recognition
Admittedly I have not looked into this as it would not be my preferred way to go, but a temporary recognition of a license might work just as fine (or even a conversion, should time and money allow for it).
Last I checked with Canada it takes two visits, separated by a day at least. One to get the form, as of a year ago had to be requested in person. Fill out the form, go back, answer some questions, pay the fee, and done. They give you a temporary license and mail a permanent one. There are some special aspects on currency to be aware of, but I forget what they are. Also note: that you are required to update Canada from then on for address moves or you violate Canadian law....
From EASA to FAA for VFR only is also supposed to be simple.

From what I have previously read, converting any license to EASA is a major pain, and basically restarts all the training...

Tim
dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dgger »

I once converted an FAA PPL to EASA (then JAR) which required a theroetical exam covering air law and human perforamce as well as a check ride. The one pain was the radio operator license which had to be done separately.

For all practical purposes sharing EASA and N-registered aircraft separately might be the way to go.
YCCA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeffrey
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N209DS
Airports: B19

Post by YCCA »

I had two Canadians do this exact thing at my flight school in Maine to time build in my Beechcraft Duchess. The US and Canada recognize each other’s ratings basically so it is mostly a paperwork drill with a written test.. It is easiest if you fill out the paperwork and then go see a DPE who will issue the temporary certificate
robert63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: OE-FAR
Airports: LOWL

Post by robert63 »

dgger wrote:Dear Diamond Aviators,

Recently I have come to like exploring parts of the world that I do not call home. I find that a DA42 is a fine machine to do so. However, I also found (with very few exceptions) this is really hard to do unless you fly your own aircraft where you want it. Now, I am wondering, if there is any interest in this community to mutually let each others aircraft to allow us to fly in different parts of the world.

I am happy to let mine, which is an EASA-registered DA42NG currently in Tanzania (next stops will be South Africa and then South-East Asia), to any pilot who would let me his or hers in another part of this world. The idea here is to bi- or multilateraly agree on letting aircraft at cost to anyone who is also an owner, has a reasonable minimum of in-type experience, and agrees to let his or her aircraft in return.

Is there any interest in this kind of a scheme here?

Peter
Hi Peter!
Our DA42NG is in Austria (LOWL). Would you be interested in it? We would probably be interested in using yours. I would need to discuss it with my partner first, however.
Regarding the license I think I can legally fly a N-registered aircraft with my EASA-license at least VFR in Europe.
dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dgger »

robert63 wrote: Our DA42NG is in Austria (LOWL). Would you be interested in it? We would probably be interested in using yours. I would need to discuss it with my partner first, however.
Regarding the license I think I can legally fly a N-registered aircraft with my EASA-license at least VFR in Europe.
Sure, lets talk sharing. I just PMed you my number.

As for flying N-reg on a EASA ticket I have a slightly different understanding. The privilege to fly only pertains to EASA aircraft and ICAO aircraft flown within the airspace of the state issueing the pilot license i.e. youare legal to flight an N-reg in Austria, but not to take that aircraft into Hungary. However, I am happy to learn that I am wrong...
robert63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: OE-FAR
Airports: LOWL

Post by robert63 »

dgger wrote:
robert63 wrote: Our DA42NG is in Austria (LOWL). Would you be interested in it? We would probably be interested in using yours. I would need to discuss it with my partner first, however.
Sure, lets talk sharing. I just PMed you my number.

As for flying N-reg on a EASA ticket I have a slightly different understanding. The privilege to fly only pertains to EASA aircraft and ICAO aircraft flown within the airspace of the state issueing the pilot license i.e. youare legal to flight an N-reg in Austria, but not to take that aircraft into Hungary. However, I am happy to learn that I am wrong...
PM hasn’t arrived yet.
In general I think it is a great idea to have aircrafts available in different parts of the world. I‘ve been flying in Namibia with a Swiss registered C182 with my EASA license not needing to validate my license. Later the Swiss registered was no longer available, so I had to validate my license in Namibia which was not so difficult, but needs some time and bureaucracy.
There seems to be a holiday license in Germany => https://aopa.de/ueber-uns/for-foreign-p ... ation.html
I know of EASA pilots from Austria who fly a NCC aircraft with N-registration not just in Austria. There is probably a grey zone.
I think we would be happy to rent our DA42NG to DAN members. Just have to include them in our insurance. Some kind of AirBNB.