DA40 blown tire mentioned in AOPA Flight Training Magazine - March 2019 issue

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

OriensFlight
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N556LU
Airports: KHES

DA40 blown tire mentioned in AOPA Flight Training Magazine - March 2019 issue

Post by OriensFlight »

I haven't seen it posted on the forum yet, but Greg Brown's Flying Carpet mentioned a DA40 temporarily stranded at a remote airport before Thanksgiving (St. Johns, Arizona), and then some good fortune to get him on his way. https://gregbrownflyingcarpet.com/2019/ ... et-column/ which contains a link to the Flight Training article.

Having done the cross-country flight from Virginia to California in my DA40, I too dropped in on one remote airport only to find the not-NOTAM'd self-serve fuel unavailable. At the next airport, it was pure luck that someone knew how to open up the fuel pump. @CFIDave had advised me to only plan for Class C airports with good FBOs, but I hadn't followed his advice. This story made me remember how fortunate I was.
Hans
N556LU / 40.763 - 2007 DA40 XL G1000 w/WAAS, SVT, TAS & ADS-B @ RAM Aviation in Healdsburg, California
vontresc
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N569DS
Airports: KMSN

Re: DA40 blown tire mentioned in AOPA Flight Training Magazine - March 2019 issue

Post by vontresc »

I am the MX officer at our flying club, and we have a Da-40. We've had a few flats over the years so we keep a spare in the plane with all of the tie downs and such. The weelpants do give you some extra knots, but the original style sure makes it difficult to check tire pressures, and look at the treads.