ForeFlight content pack - New York Scenic

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

mdieter
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N43LM
Airports: KROC

ForeFlight content pack - New York Scenic

Post by mdieter »

I was intrigued when I read about ForeFlight content packs so I decided to create one. I live near Niagara Falls, so that's where I started. I created a content pack called "New York Scenic" with some of the more notable places to fly over in New York state. It contains waypoints, descriptions, pictures and procedures/guidelines for viewing these spots from the air.

I'm hoping some of you might be interested in reviewing my work and suggesting other interesting places (in NY state for now). Comments are welcome. (my spelling can be pretty bad) ;)

The content pack is about 6MB and too large to post here. You can download my beta-test version at:http://www.mdco.net/MDCO_NY_Scenic_pack.zip. I'm also happy to email the pack directly to anyone. Don't unzip the file. ForeFlight wants it as a .zip! You then have to import it into ForeFlight via hyperlink, airdrop, email, or iTunes. The instructions are at: https://foreflight.com/support/user-content/.

The easiest way to import the pack is by clicking on the "MDCO..." link above while using Safari on your iPad. Then tap "Open in ForeFlight". This will open ForeFlight and you should see that the content pack was installed. Tap “View” to see the contents of the pack.

When viewing the package contents, scroll to the bottom where you should see “New York Scenic.kml”. Tap on the “show on map” icon. New York Scenic is also available at the bottom of the right column of map layers on the map screen.

If you want to delete the content pack from your iPad tap …more > Custom Content > New York Scenic > Delete Content Pack.

Let me know what you think :thumbsup:
Mark
N43LM
DA40.1047
midlifeflyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N226PA
Airports: KTTA

Re: ForeFlight content pack - New York Scenic

Post by midlifeflyer »

Not bad. I took a look at the Hudson corridor route.
mdieter
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N43LM
Airports: KROC

Post by mdieter »

midlifeflyer wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:01 pm Not bad. I took a look at the Hudson corridor route.
Thanks Mark, I don't have any experience with the Hudson corridor so comments from folks that do helps.
Mark
N43LM
DA40.1047
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Here's a shot of us flying north up the Hudson River approaching the One World Trade Center/Freedom Tower. If you look carefully at the G1000 MFD, you can see the red WARNING-OBSTACLE annunciation that was triggered by the tower, along with an audio warning. We were flying up the right side of the river exactly where we were supposed to be at 1200 feet (on autopilot in heading mode with my hand on the heading knob), but below the top of the 1776 foot tall tower.
HudsonRiverCorridor1.jpg
You can also see a lot of (inversion layer) brown smog that day.

If you've never flown the Hudson River VFR corridor, it's definitely worth doing. Just look out for all the helicopters and other aircraft!
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

Great picture Dave!
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Post by NDCDA62 »

Agree, great photo Dave. This is the exact position I have also placed my iPad. Provides unobtructive view of all instruments.
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Post by Pascal »

Mark, thanks a lot for the pack. I will play with it over the weekend. Being from Montreal, I would be very interested in the Saranac lake / Lake Placid and Champlain Lake region. Thanks!
robottwo
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Daniel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N520DA
Airports: KFRG

Post by robottwo »

Hi -- this content pack doesn't seem to be around anymore. This is a really powerful feature of Foreflight though, and I was surprised to find that there's no central site you can go to browse what content packs are available ... So I created one!

Please check out https://flytemaps.com! For now all packs are free. If people like this, please feel free to contribute to the list there. I'm happy to host either free or paid content packs.