Filing Direct

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Filing Direct

Post by Rich »

I'll be flying this weekend generally East of the Rockies to and among various destinations in the Midwest. I would like to be flying IFR and file direct to various destinations across Eastern Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois and Minnesota. With my dual WAAS navigators and totally non-challenging terrain I'd love to just file direct.

But these days does ATC generally accept flight plans with this routing outside terminal areas and such? Or should I expect to get juked around over the empty plains 'twixt the Mississippi and the Rockies?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
midlifeflyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N226PA
Airports: KTTA

Re: Filing Direct

Post by midlifeflyer »

No reason not to try. There might be some routing issues near busier areas - if you are flying out of metro Denver, for example the PLAINS SID is common. But in a lot of that area direct routings are common. There is the AIM guidance of selecting at least one waypoint in each Center but not everyone follows it. And if the Center computer gives you something else, you can always ask for a shortcut once enroute (if ATC doesn't just offer it).
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Post by Tim H »

My experience in flying from my base in Ohio to Michigan, Florida, Kansas, Virginia have all been “Direct”. The only exception has been flying around the Class B airspace in Tampa. I think east of the Rockies and west of Pennsylvania is pretty much all “Direct” except around Class “B” airspace.

Would be interested to hear others experiences.
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

My 2 cents... I am finding it more and more common even when on a flight plan with multiple fixes for controllers to proactively give you direct routing, except of course when going through busy airspaces. So... I would file direct and see what happens!
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Thanks for the responses. We'll see how it goes.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Having just flown through a bunch of that countryside, the controllers are nice and very accomodating. As mentioned above, if there's Class B in the way they might re-route you, but you can probably figure that out yourself and if there's Class B ahead then file a route (or altitude) which keeps you out of it.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Well, I have always chosen Direct for years. However, on my recent trip from Boston to DC; the first controller in Boston said unable and to refile. He then proceeded to ignore the next two calls, and waited until I was in the next controller's airspace and said for me to contact them. Oh, and the reason I file direct; if I choose to file west of NYC and east of PHL, they route me over NYC. If I file over NYC, they route me west of NYC.... I gave up trying to guess which route I will get.

Tim
YCCA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeffrey
Aircraft Registration: N209DS
Airports: B19

Post by YCCA »

Generally when flying as low as we do it’s pretty much all direct
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

TimS wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:04 pm Well, I have always chosen Direct for years. However, on my recent trip from Boston to DC; the first controller in Boston said unable and to refile. He then proceeded to ignore the next two calls, and waited until I was in the next controller's airspace and said for me to contact them. Oh, and the reason I file direct; if I choose to file west of NYC and east of PHL, they route me over NYC. If I file over NYC, they route me west of NYC.... I gave up trying to guess which route I will get.

Tim
I had similar experiences 4x with Boston and NYC controllers. Grrrr.
ZAV
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N387DS
Airports: KLEX

Post by ZAV »

Will be able to fly direct with some radar vectors around busier airspace. The ForeFlight route advisor is great to see what routes have been recently cleared. You can just sit at home and pick a couple of airports and see what the route of the day is. For our altitudes, you will see a lot of direct clearances.