Flying the Caribbean (Part 7) - to Nevis -- Hopping Off and On Islands

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Flying the Caribbean (Part 7) - to Nevis -- Hopping Off and On Islands

Post by waynemcc999 »

A lovely one hour flight Dominica to Nevis. Takeoff to spec and awesome scenery.

With the airfield at Dominica a bit on the short side and the largest rocks on the southend, we had a concern for a southerly wind... fortunately, winds were calm this day. Still made sure to check the 70%/50% rule... and our trusty steed did well. What would be your strategy or decision with winds 010@10 at TDCF (3130')?

Thoughts, questions, and suggestions? I'd love to hear from you.
Thanks for your insight and enjoy the video!
Wayne, the GeezerGeek Pilot
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Flying the Caribbean (Part 7) - to Nevis -- Hopping Off and On Islands

Post by Steve »

Wayne:

Great Video series - makes me want to start planning my trip to the Caribbean! Not willing to do it in a SE though, I'll have to find someone with an open seat in a DA42/62...

One thing I noticed in this video was that your backup AI didn't erect fully until you were airborne for a few minutes. Is this something that developed on your trip? I know you were VFR, but did you have any concerns about an impending failure?

Steve
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Re: Flying the Caribbean (Part 7) - to Nevis -- Hopping Off and On Islands

Post by waynemcc999 »

Steve, thanks for checking it out. You might find Part 1 of the series useful for planning, whether single engine or twin. BTW, for the Bahamas you're almost never beyond glide range... we carried a life raft, but for the Bahamas life vests are enough.

Yes, I noticed the backup AI hadn't yet spun up by takeoff time... there's a note in the video description. It is pretty normal that the backup AI is slow to spin up and if taking off into IMC I would have waited. In a real life failure of the primary, I might very well first go to my iPad AHRS (via Stratus) before the backup AI.
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot