Grande Canyon Corridors - GPS Waypoints

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

gtmize
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: gary
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N175DA
Airports: KFMN

Grande Canyon Corridors - GPS Waypoints

Post by gtmize »

I have found a few very poor maps for getting below 18000' over the Grande Canyon using Corridors ( down to 12000').

But would require some GPS waypoints .. any help appreciated
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Re: Grande Canyon Corridors - GPS Waypoints

Post by Lou »

Hi there,

I made an FPL file that contains all the corridors. Copy the file to the top card and then load the file. This will load the following waypoints (note names are not official - just my own shorthand):

Tuckup Corridor: TUCK01 (North), TUCK02 (South); Fossil Canyon Corridor: FOSS01, FOSS02; Dragon Corridor: DRAG01, DRAG02; Zuni Point Corridor: ZUNI01, ZUNI02

I have attached the Excel file with the names and GPS co-ordinates. I will send the .fpl file to you by PM because I can't upload a text file to the forum for some reason. You can also create a "user_waypoints.csv" file for Foreflight and add the waypoints to Foreflight.

Let me know how it works. Good luck.

Louis

PS - I see the forum converts the xls to a pdf. I will send original to you by PM as well.
Attachments
Grand Canyon Corridors.xlsx
(48.82 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

The relevant waypoints/routes are plotted on the sectional. At least in Foreflight they show up and the waypoints can be entered into a flight plan. Am I missing something?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Rich wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:37 pm The relevant waypoints/routes are plotted on the sectional. At least in Foreflight they show up and the waypoints can be entered into a flight plan. Am I missing something?
Now I see. It doesn't show up on the sectional, but there is an additional Grand Canyon Chart which Foreflight automatically overlays. Here you can clearly see, for example, Fossil Canyon Corridor, delineated by waypoints VPGCC and VPGCD. This may be a consequence of my selecting VFR Flyway Charts for download.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

We overflew all of the Grand Canyon VFR corridors last fall using the Foreflight VFR map. If you zoom in on the Grand Canyon, it clearly shows all of the waypoint endpoints of each of the corridors -- which can easily be added to your G1000 flight plan.
Attachments
DHFL1643.jpeg
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
gtmize
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: gary
Aircraft Registration: N175DA
Airports: KFMN

Post by gtmize »

Rich wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:07 pm
Rich wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:37 pm The relevant waypoints/routes are plotted on the sectional. At least in Foreflight they show up and the waypoints can be entered into a flight plan. Am I missing something?
Now I see. It doesn't show up on the sectional, but there is an additional Grand Canyon Chart which Foreflight automatically overlays. Here you can clearly see, for example, Fossil Canyon Corridor, delineated by waypoints VPGCC and VPGCD. This may be a consequence of my selecting VFR Flyway Charts for download.
Thanks, but

VPGCC/VPGCD corridor starts and ends inside the "GND-17999" block .. also can't see the corridor minimum .. how low you can go?
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

gtmize wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:24 pm
Rich wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:07 pm
Thanks, but

VPGCC/VPGCD corridor starts and ends inside the "GND-17999" block .. also can't see the corridor minimum .. how low you can go?
Answers to all are on the chart

Corridor altitudes are shown in a box just to the "Northwest" of "Tuckup Corridor". Four discrete VFR altitudes given.

The corridors are above the max altitude of any of the sectors (9,999' MSL). They are there to provide guidance between the "Free Flight Zones" which require prior authorization and extend to 14,500' MSL. They do not extend to the lateral boundaries of the SFRA because that is not their function.
CBeak
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Registration: N614DS
Airports: KSGU

Post by CBeak »

That’s my neighborhood. There are 4 distinct VFR altitudes through the corridors. Easterly and westerly Cruise altitudes. Stay on them. It’s also important to use the altimeter reading from the designated airport because that’s where they expect you to be.
It’s not hard, especially now that apps like ForeFlight and WingX draw it right there on your moving map. I always feel safer with Flight Following in there.
Normally, there are a lot of tour aircraft in there using “cactus” designations. Most flying out of Grand Canyon or Las Vegas. They get the lower altitudes and stay on specific routes.They even have their own chart. Just don’t try dropping down low there. Too many bad things can happen.
CBeak
N614DS 05 DA40
Legacy G1000 ; KAP 140; GTX 345R
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I recently upgraded my computer to one capable of editing 4K videos, so I was finally able to edit the 4K GoPro videos shot from the tail tie-down of our DA62 last September. We flew all of the VFR corridors at the lowest legal altitudes (10,500 and 11,500 feet).

I was able to edit the video down to about 35 minutes, which is exactly the length of the entire "Grand Canyon Suite" music that accompanies the video. The edited video shows canyon scenery going by in real time, but fast forwards through the "connecting" segments between VFR corridors across flat terrain that may be less interesting.

The tail camera mount was intended to show the DA62 belly and turning props at the very top of the frame -- which it did at the start of the video. But I didn't tighten the mount enough, allowing the GoPro camera (with a large external battery pack) to very slowly rotate downward due the pressure (drag) of the airflow when flying at 170 knots. So the airplane eventually disappears into the top of the frame -- a "feature" rather than a "bug" :) -- letting you admire just the scenery.

For best results, watch this at full 4K resolution on a newer 4K TV using the TV's built-in YouTube app; search YouTube for "Grand Canyon Flight from DA62"

Otherwise you can watch this on a computer monitor where many browsers (e.g., Mac Safari) will limit YouTube resolution to HD 1080p:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szhnov96-Oo
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

CFIDave wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:27 pm I recently upgraded my computer to one capable of editing 4K videos, so I was finally able to edit the 4K GoPro videos shot from the tail tie-down of our DA62 last September.
How did you attach the GoPro to the tail tie-down?