Hand-Flying the Central Coast - Approaches & Holds (Full ATC)

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Hand-Flying the Central Coast - Approaches & Holds (Full ATC)

Post by waynemcc999 »

I’m getting in some more hand-flying, today along the Central Coast with Levi in his 182. We shoot a Localizer Backcourse, a couple RNAV approaches, one full hold, two holds-in-lieu of procedure turn, and grab a nice lunch in San Luis Obispo. On the way home to Santa Barbara, we again request an Overhead Break, this time with some extended legs for traffic. Thanks for flying with us. Wayne, GeezerGeek Pilot
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Re: Hand-Flying the Central Coast - Approaches & Holds (Full ATC)

Post by dmloftus »

waynemcc999 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:17 pm
I’m getting in some more hand-flying, today along the Central Coast with Levi in his 182. We shoot a Localizer Backcourse, a couple RNAV approaches, one full hold, two holds-in-lieu of procedure turn, and grab a nice lunch in San Luis Obispo. On the way home to Santa Barbara, we again request an Overhead Break, this time with some extended legs for traffic. Thanks for flying with us. Wayne, GeezerGeek Pilot
Hi Wayne,
I like your video, reminds me of my first long-distance solo many years ago from KRHV to KPRB. I was wondering how you record the Foreflight live? I often take still shots of Foreflight to include in my flying videos, but I'm very interested in your live screen capture. Thanks
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

David, thanks for watching and glad you enjoy the videos. Here's how to screen record (incl audio) any iPad/iPhone session (incl ForeFlight):
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207935
... seems to take about 2GB per hour of recording.

Some other tidbits on how I record/edit my little videos:
https://bit.ly/wam-video-hw-sw

Can you provide us a link to your videos?
Very best regards,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dmloftus »

waynemcc999 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:47 pm David, thanks for watching and glad you enjoy the videos. Here's how to screen record (incl audio) any iPad/iPhone session (incl ForeFlight):
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207935
... seems to take about 2GB per hour of recording.

Some other tidbits on how I record/edit my little videos:
https://bit.ly/wam-video-hw-sw

Can you provide us a link to your videos?
Very best regards,
Wayne
Thanks Wayne, I'll try that next time. Here's one of mine on Youtube, when I lived in Northern California:

https://youtu.be/3oAft5-6jUk

waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

David, nice video (subscribed)! You might want to change the YouTube parameter that says it’s made expressly for children (which seems to lock out Comments, I.e. praise).
Cool,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dmloftus »

Glad you liked it. Thanks for the suggestion, I did not realize that choice limited comments.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dmloftus »

This one is a bit more interesting, flying aerobatics in an Extra 330. Incredible experience.

dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dmloftus »

Hi Wayne,
I subscribed to your YouTube channel and checked out your wonderful Caribbean videos. Absolutely fantastic! I'm sure those took A LOT of work ;-) A few questions for you:
- I really like a few of the tools you used in the videos.
--- How did you get the video clips of the rotating globe with customizable origin/destination?
--- What site did you use to plot multiple color-coded track logs by flight leg (looked like you could select which of many legs you wanted to display).
--- Seems like you use Windy a lot. Is this part of your normal preflight?
- WRT flying, is it normal for ATC in Caribbean to use flight levels below 180? Down to what level MSL?
- Were you able to get ADS-B weather throughout the Caribbean?
- Did you have to do an oil change along the way with 63 tach hours? If so, where did you do it? I noticed you repaired the starter in FL
- I'm curious, did your backup attitude indicator fail? I noticed it wasn't caged sometimes in parts 6 and 7. Scary in IFR.
- Noticed the Stratus on the dash, was this just backup?
- I also have a 2008 DA40. I would be nervous about W&B with 3 people, luggage, and the safety equipment (raft, vests, radio, etc). Were you regularly pushing GW with full tanks?
- In your credits at the end, you indicate your plane is supercharged. Do you have a thread on this?

Thought about putting these questions in a PM but thought they might be of general interest.

Thanks for sharing the wonderful videos!
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

dmloftus wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:40 pm Hi Wayne,
I subscribed to your YouTube channel and checked out your wonderful Caribbean videos. Absolutely fantastic! I'm sure those took A LOT of work ;-) A few questions for you:
- I really like a few of the tools you used in the videos.

Thought about putting these questions in a PM but thought they might be of general interest.

Thanks for sharing the wonderful videos!
David, very glad you enjoyed the Caribbean videos. It was an absolutely awesome trip!
I'll try to address your questions below:

--- How did you get the video clips of the rotating globe with customizable origin/destination?
The globe (with a few variants) is a standard feature of iMovie.
Here's a brief summary of the hardware/software I use for videos: https://bit.ly/wam-video-hw-sw

--- What site did you use to plot multiple color-coded track logs by flight leg (looked like you could select which of many legs you wanted to display).
I often use GPSVisualizer.com (free) to show multi-leg tracks.

--- Seems like you use Windy a lot. Is this part of your normal preflight?
Indeed, I use Windy for pretty much all my mid-to-long term weather planning.
Here's a Primer on Windy: https://bit.ly/wam-windy

- WRT flying, is it normal for ATC in Caribbean to use flight levels below 180? Down to what level MSL?
Yes. The whole flight level concept is largely dependent on max terrain in the country. If I remember correctly, some initial (transition) flight levels... Cuba 4000' (FL040), eastern Caribbean countries 6000' (FL060).

- Were you able to get ADS-B weather throughout the Caribbean?
No. Only within about 100 miles or so of US territory (e.g. around Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands).
ADS-B traffic coverage was quite a bit better (probably because ADS-B Out pings local traffic), plus our planes have active TAS.

- Did you have to do an oil change along the way with 63 tach hours? If so, where did you do it? I noticed you repaired the starter in FL
Only did oil changes just before the trip and just after the trip. However, at 2400 tach hours on my plane, we're adding a quart about every 5 hours, so there is new oil coming in during those 63 hours.

- I'm curious, did your backup attitude indicator fail? I noticed it wasn't caged sometimes in parts 6 and 7. Scary in IFR.
My backup AI is often slow to spool up... but always comes alive within ~10 minutes of engine start. Even if it did fail, I'd most likely use my iPad/Stratus for full backup AHRS/SynVis.

- Noticed the Stratus on the dash, was this just backup?
Yes. It's connected to ship power, so would provide ~5 hours of full AHRS/SynVis in the event of full loss of ship power. Normally it's in a cradle near the right rear window, but in those video episodes we were having Stratus cable problems (chronic issue) so had it on the dash so we could tweak the cable as needed (problem since resolved).

- I also have a 2008 DA40. I would be nervous about W&B with 3 people, luggage, and the safety equipment (raft, vests, radio, etc). Were you regularly pushing GW with full tanks?
Indeed W&B is quite tight with the crew we had... each person was allowed <15 pounds of personal gear. We made certain to have washer/dryer at the booked AirBnBs 8-) . The same plane and crew have flown a number of long-haul trips (e.g. 2016 Cuba/Guatemala/Mexico, 2018 CentralAm/Colombia) prior to the 2020 Caribbean adventure.

- In your credits at the end, you indicate your plane is supercharged. Do you have a thread on this?
Here's a PIREP on my Supercharger... http://bit.ly/wam-sc-pirep

Solid questions! Thanks and keep 'em coming.
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dmloftus »

Fantastic, thanks for the tips. I would likely reactivate my XM weather for a trip like that. Currently reviewing some of your earlier threads about planning the trip, Windy, Foreflight, Supercharger, etc. You are an incredibly prolific video producer! Those take a lot of time, but then you have created a memorable time capsule for a lifetime. Really a labor of love, especially to share with friends and family.