Where to Next?! Planting the Seed for the Next Tour

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Re: Where to Next?! Planting the Seed for the Next Tour

Post by waynemcc999 »

Louis, wow, the photos! And the solid details on the trench and circuit SOPs. I have a feelin' we'll be tapping your experience as we get deeper into planning.

Did you fly the trench in your DA40?... it appears there aren't many (any?) off-field landing options. From California we'll be coming up via Prince George, with then two options... (1) the Trench (CYZY CYQH) or (2) CYZY CYXJ then the Alcan to CYQH... the latter of course having the highway as a possible bailout. Your thoughts on under what conditions you'd do one versus the other??

Many thanks!
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

Wayne - just throwing it out but have you thought about turning inland at the Columbia River Gorge? Follow the Columbia to Spokane KSFF (Felts, which is a great GA field), and pickup the trench right at the border? You can enter at Cranbrook. The really spectacular Canadian Rockies (and other ranges like the Purcells) are from this point north to Mount Robson, near Valemont. You might leave some time to swing over the divide and follow the Icefields Parkway to Jasper.

North of Robson is still beautiful but in a subtler way. I have been as far north as Prince George on that side of the rocks, beyond that is a wanna.

Looking at your plans, when you cross over to CYXJ you are on the foothills side of the mountains, and you pick up the Alaska Hwy, which was also the historical lend lease aircraft ferrying route (started in Edmonton - follow the VORs) I have flown CYQU to CYXS.

One thing you have to account for is that the freezing level gets lower as you go north. Even in summer you can be squeezed between weather and terrain. You can get stuck: too low for VFR, too much ice for IFR, since the minimums are so high. So leave time and be safe. I am not super experienced in this but I had a bad day once with some upslope weather through the Rogers Pass, and I am not going to repeat that experience and would not wish it on anyone!

Louis
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

Louis,
Cool... looking at the terrain, I see what you mean about flying the west side of the high Canadian Rockies, Cranbrook to Valemount... and then Icefields to Jasper! Cool! I'm starting to add these to our planning spreadsheet as possible enroute options.

Regarding the options north of Prince George (Watson Lake via the now-desolate-Trench or divert via the Alcan) that might well be a decision point that we delay until the moment of takeoff from Prince George... likely, as you note, with cloud bases/freezing levels as the determining factor (or wait for blue skies).

Again, you're providing just the kind of insight and options I was looking for. I'll be posting more to DAN as our planning continues. We're currently looking at an early-August departure. Pls stay tuned and continue these awesome contributions.

Thanks!
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot