5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Re: New handheld radio with ILS

Post by Kai »

Hi Fred,

I have a Vertex Standard Pilot III for a bit over a year now. It comes with VOR and CDI navigation. I am not sure if that is the one you are asking for.

http://www.vertexstandard.com/indexVS.c ... Archived=0

I bought it rather than for the navigational functions than for the fact that it is waterproof. It is an excellent part of a survival equipment if you have to make a landing on water. I wouldn't think it is very probably that both G1000 units fail while in IMC and neither the emergency batteries would help to keep it running. Only in that case the Vertex VXA-300 could be helpful.
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Post by Gary »

Sporty's sells a hand held radio with ILS capability for about $400. I had the older version SP-200 with NAV/COM but no ILS and was not impressed with the quality. I checked it a year or two after I got it and there was a lot of static. I bought a Vertex hand held NAV/COM to replace it. I can see using the VOR in the event of Avionics failure but doubt that a hand held ILS would be very useful except in rare circumstances.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

I also have the Vertex Standard Pilot III. I've used it a few times on the ground to talk to the tower - it seems to work fine - but never in the air yet. The thing I like best about it is that the battery seems to last forever! I run it for hours as a scanner when I'm at the airport, and I maybe stick it on the charger once every other month, when I think of it. I would estimate I run it (receiving) 30 or 40 hours without ever charging it. It's never gone dead yet.

I've never used its LOC receiver either, but I might try it one flight just to see how well it works. It would be nice to know I have that extra backup, just in case!
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Fred
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Fred
Aircraft Registration: N867DS
Airports: KMMK

Post by Fred »

Has anyone placed a BNC connector on the pannel to attach a handheld radio for better reception?
Fred F.
Home Airport: KMMK
ASEL IFR
DA40 XLS, Various other Pistons