3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N476PS
Airports: KOCW

Re: Diamond: Guss lock fabric torn

Post by Tom Davis »

I took a expandable paint roller handle, cut off the plastic end where the paint roller screws on, fabricated a clip for the peddles, cut off the handle, welded a curved piece of steel (split open a piece of conduit) on that end and used two small bolts to fasten straps on the side. I think I will use the plasti dip to coat the welded parts and the curved end. I have not hooked it up yet, but I see no reason why it will not work.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

OK, so here is my el-cheapo solution. After 14 years, I finally got around to making the gust lock more user-friendly. I was motivated by the fact that we are going to Carlsbad, NM for Spring Break, and the airplane will be parked outside for a while. I hate having to pull the rudder pedals all the way back to use the stock gust lock. I also have the nagging fear that when removing it for the trip home, I will somehow not be able to push the rudder pedals back in to my usual position (all the way back).
DSCN3599.JPG
DSCN3598.JPG
The extension is a 12" long length of 1/2" Schedule 80 PVC pipe ($1.80 @ Lowe's). Pop riveted to lengthen the gust lock by 7.5" (overall length is now 27.5"). You may have to lengthen it a bit less, if you don't have the pedals as far back as I do.

Steve
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I always put the gust lock on the co-pilots side. I had heard of someone that had something break (a portion of cable? a spring) when adjusting the pedals and his theory was that he had moved it hundreds of times and it finally gave up.

With the Twinstar, if I want to lock the controls I need to warn the line personnel not to tow it. Or I need to figure out a new lock that JUST works on the control stick. (I think the rudder is sort of locked already.)
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

OK, so I finally got around to doing the gust lock mod in order to not have to move the pedals every time--cut it in half, added a perfect sized cut wooden broom handle, and put little bolts through to hold together. Prior to the mod, it was always installed on the co-pilot side, as that's how the strap lengths were set up. With the mod, I rotated half so it would now go on the pilot side. With this move to the pilot side, there is a new unanticipated issue: the part goes to the control stick, which previously fit perfectly right below the control "grip" (over the leather velcro-closed cover), now no longer fits well there as the leather/velcro on my pilot side is thicker and the vecro closure area sticks out more, so it does not fit snugly over it. Do others typically put the gust lock to the "grip" part, to the part right below the grip (over the leather), or directly to the control stick after separating the velcro a little? While applying it directly to my stick after opening the velcro a little works well, it is a bit of a hassle to do every time.
Steve
DA40 XL
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I have always split the stick boot and attached directly to the metal tubing of the pilot's stick.

Steve
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Thanks Steve. It does fit very securely there, just seems a bit odd putting it "inside".
Steve
DA40 XL
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I'm going to have to work out something more custom on the DA42. If I leave it with an FBO the rudder is not meant to be locked, but I would still like the other controls locked.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Colin,
I understand what you are saying, but if the plane is left outside I think it is important to keep the rudder locked as well to protect from wind gusts. I, too, created the modified gust lock cutting the original I half and adding the broom handle in the middle. I attached it to the left side since I never needed to readjust the rudder pedal length on my side. I also had it rest against the control grip. When parked outside I left instructions with the FBO that they were not to move the plane without disengaging the control lock. However, we all know how will instructions left with an FBO really work :(
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

We have a bright red "Do Not Tow" streamer that attaches with velcro:
http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/do-not ... eamer.html

We place this around the nose gear anytime the plane is parked with the gust lock attached to the DA42's rudder pedals.

The problem with this is that at some airports the FBO will need to tow the plane somewhere else for parking after we've unloaded baggage. I then have to follow the line guys (while the plane is being towed) to the parking spot to attach both the gust lock and "Do Not Tow" streamer. Then we have to reverse the process when preparing to leave that airport. Add these activities to the time it takes to always supervise fueling -- since I don't trust FBOs to put JetA instead of avgas into the DA42 -- and I end up "wasting" a lot of time at the FBO.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

CFIDave wrote: Add these activities to the time it takes to always supervise fueling -- since I don't trust FBOs to put JetA instead of avgas into the DA42 -- and I end up "wasting" a lot of time at the FBO.
A few years ago I actually had to fight with the FBO to put in JetA rather than 100LL, even though the fuel tanks are placarded with "JetA only". The FBO manager insisted that only 100LL can go into a piston engine. It took a phone call to the FBO owner to get the correct fuel put into the plane. I kept my fuel tanks locked at all times and would never let the plane be fueled without me being there. The extra time spent was the cost of having diesel engines.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com