Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Re: iPad in DA40

Post by carym »

SlowFlight wrote:
Jean wrote:@Tyson
Nice pictures.
How did you attach the RAM pod on the right side of the cockpit ?
With the RAM "dash mount": http://www.sportys.com/Pilotshop/product/16676 (not attached to the glare shield cover that is attached to the canopy, but the fixed-in-position dash)
Tyson,
This is just a friendly warning. Attaching a mount to the vent window runs the risk of breaking the latch if the mount and/or iPad is moved. Don't ask me how I know :( . I thought I posted pictures of my set up previously, but can't find it and don't have the pics anymore. For serious IMC (when the ceilings are <1000 feet) I use the SeaSucker ( http://www.seasucker.com/product-category/ipad-tablet/ ) and attach it to the canopy at one end and to the iPad at the other. The iPad is then hanging down from the canopy and is at eye level but does not interfere with observing any of the gauges. This works great in the Diamond and allows me to look at the approach plate without much head movement.

PS, Tyson, I really love ForeFlight. Thanks for making a great app.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Gnomad
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eric
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N61EP
Airports: KEQY

Post by Gnomad »

Just got my ipad mini last week and the suction RamMount that blocks the power button (have the custom iPad mini mount on pre-order). Anyway, very very happy! Fits well above the vent window.

My question is...I was trying to run a long cable to today per Tim's advice. Bought a usb extension cord since the new lightening cable is only 3.5ft and went out to get it all set up today.

Hesitated when I went to plug into the cigarette lighter. Placard there says "For ground ops only" and I believe it mentioned 2.0 amps max.

First off, my plug-in is rated at 5 amps and second...ground ops isn't what I had in mind. :oops:

Hesitated to plug in till I could post here for more info.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Eric
Eric

DA42.N121 (Sold!)
DA40.1136 (Sold!)
Charlotte, NC (KEQY)

My Diamond Flight Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/eparker99a
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

The DA42 does not have a power outlet, so this is how solved the problem. I went to Radio Shack and bought a dual cigarette lighter outlet. I then wired the outlet with battery cable female plugs. Since I have to replace my backup batteries at every annual, and they have not been used, I place one of these back up batteries behind my seat and attach my cigarette lighter outlet to it. In this way I can recharge two devices at once if I need to, and I get to make use of these expensive sealed lead-acid batteries.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Tim M
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N704PA
Airports: KRBD

Post by Tim M »

Gnomad wrote:Just got my ipad mini last week and the suction RamMount that blocks the power button (have the custom iPad mini mount on pre-order). Anyway, very very happy! Fits well above the vent window.

My question is...I was trying to run a long cable to today per Tim's advice. Bought a usb extension cord since the new lightening cable is only 3.5ft and went out to get it all set up today.

Hesitated when I went to plug into the cigarette lighter. Placard there says "For ground ops only" and I believe it mentioned 2.0 amps max.

First off, my plug-in is rated at 5 amps and second...ground ops isn't what I had in mind. :oops:

Hesitated to plug in till I could post here for more info.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Eric
I couldn't find a USB extension cord that worked so I finally broke down and bought the 10' charging cord from the Apple store. My charger (bought from Sporty's) is a 2 amp. Haven't had any issues with this configuration. While the charger capacity is 2 amps, I have never seen any movement in the aircraft ammeter when I plug it in so it appears to be just a trickle charge.

I too have wondered about the ground only placard as it does not appear to be an airworthiness limitation.
Gasser
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeff
Aircraft Registration: N415AM
Airports: KADH

Post by Gasser »

Just to bring back the I pad thread, just wanted to show my little lap mount for the mini. It's a lap mount for a regular I pad. By turning the I pad mini sideways it fits perfect and worked quite nice for my flight to Denver this week.

I have rhe RAM mount on back order.

Jeff

PRIVATE PILOT, IFR
2005 DA40 SOLD
2006 SR22, A/C, TKS, AVIDYINE PFD/MFD, IFD 540/440, AXP322 remote ADS-B TRANSPONDER, AMX240 AUDIO PANEL, MLB100 ADS B in.
168 KTAS 9,000' msl @ 13.6 gph LOP. 1005 pound useful load.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I've been using the mini on and off now. I didn't get one with the built-in GPS, instead opting to use the Garmin GLO. This is a fabulous receiver. It locks on to satellites superfast and never loses them. And runs a long time on a battery-charge. And it seems you can put it any-old-place in the cockpit and it works fine.

One weakness with this gizmo is that it has a hair-trigger "on" switch. Carrying it loose in a flight bag or some such can easily result in the thing being on, using up battery, when you thing it's sitting in your bag waiting for your next use.

I've come to start using this combo as a car navigator setup, as well.

I just received a second-gen stratus to use with foreflight, as it's an ADS-B/GPS receiver in a single unit. I'll report on its efficacy when I get a chance to use it.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Tim M
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N704PA
Airports: KRBD

Post by Tim M »

Tim M wrote:Here is my rig. I use an old faithful iPad1 3G running ForeFlight basic. After trying 3 different kneeboard type solutions I finally settled on the RAM Mount. I run a 10' charging cable (only available from Apple) from the charging port that runs behind the seats and along the sidewalls so it's not in the way at all, even for the rear seat pax. Like most of us, I have also accumulated a large collection of kneeboards and after talking to a friend who flies helicopters, thinking we have the same challenge as a rotary pilot with our center stick and their cyclic, I was turned on to the military standard APR MK9 helicopter pilot kneeboard. Note the CheckMate FlyWrite pad that fits perfectly on the kneeboard.

links to pictures in gallery broken in above post so here they are again:

http://www.diamondaviators.net/forum/ga ... age_id=316
http://www.diamondaviators.net/forum/ga ... age_id=317
http://www.diamondaviators.net/forum/ga ... age_id=318
http://www.diamondaviators.net/forum/ga ... age_id=319
Moonshine
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Max
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: N727FP
Airports: KPWK

Post by Moonshine »

Loving my ADS-B!

Now I only wish the equipment wars would end - I'm using Garmin Pilot for flying and ForeFlight for flight planning and while thankfully FF gets GPS position from GDL39, it'd be nice for the WX and traffic to be shared too. I know, I know "dream on.."
Attachments
adsb_sm.jpg
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

So here are a couple of pictures of some recent fiddling I've done. The second shows a Garmin 795 AND an iPad hooked up in my Star. The first is just the iPad on a console mount. For some reason the pictures taken with my Samsung Galaxy S3 give the impression of unacceptable screen glare on both screens. In reality this is not a problem at all. The picture exaggerates the effect. Screen glare is not an actual problem for either device in these orientations.

In case you're wondering, the big hole in the panel is my missing 530W, sent out to Garmin for repair. CDI in the HSI has gotten flaky in all modes and it would appear the 530W is at fault. In any case the screen has been assaulted too many times over the year by folks who insist on putting their greasy, slimy, grubby fingers on the non-touch screen. Will report when we get it back.

As the year progresses I'm considering whether the 795 is worth continuing to support in view of the increases in functionality of the iPad universe and relative usefulness thereof. More on this later, as well.
Attachments
iPad in center.
iPad in center.
20130630_132111.small.jpg (24.18 KiB) Viewed 7662 times
iPad in center.
iPad in center.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Just about ready to ditch the 795 in favor of the iPad world. I used the latter (Foreflight/Stratus II) on an IFR flight down to KMMV and back. Worked flawlessly.

In the position shown in my previous post the display worked fine in the usual bright sunshine over the fog/stratus low to the ground. Briefing plates is no problem in this position. Yeah, I can't see the prop/mixture lever positions, but that is unnecessary, anyway, as feedback from their position is obtained from the panel.

One thing that is hands-down superior with Foreflight over the Garmin 795 (and 695 before it) is chart update management. Foreflight updates directly from the internet with no PC/MAC assistance. And it allows loading the next version of everything before the current stuff expires and switches at the appropriate time. And FF loads quickly and reliably. The Garmin "bundle" consists of several individual sets of stuff and certain downloads (I'm talking about you: IFR/VFR charts and Procedure plates) routinely fail and need several tries to get it done. This has always been true regardless of browser or whether its a Windows PC or MAC-OS. And the Garmin collection of stuff (US charts/plates only, though some stuff is Americas) runs $500/year whereas FF geo-referenced US + Canadian charts/plates (not currently geo-referenced) run $300. Cheaper subsets are available, and FF makes it easy to switch coverage.

The Stratus/FF GPS combination appears ridiculously precise. At the very instant I cross the hold line from a taxiway onto a runway at KPAE it will say "Entering runway <whatever>". The display typically claims a 1m accuracy and I'm inclined to believe it. This is a far cry from the early iPad built-in GPS flakiness.

ADS-B is really cool. I watched in flight flying back home as the weather at KPAE improved from low IFR (200 - 1/4) to IFR, to Marginal VFR . This was as forecast, but it was really soothing to know I wouldn't have to divert - long before I could receive ATIS and without having to nag Flight Watch (and miss ATC calls).

A word off-topic about WAAS approaches. The glideslope at KPAE was out of service today when weather required it of non-WAAS aircraft. Just sayin'.