Ralphie
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ralphie
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Samsung Galaxy Tab

Post by Ralphie »

I got my new Samsumg Galxy Tab last week. I have an iPad but find its a bit big to carry around everywhere.

I really like the unit. I have an EVO phone so there was little transition time. Its great for web browsing, emails, word docs, games, music and videos. You can also send and recieve text messages (cool) and with the forward facing camera do video conferencing. It has a micro SD card for memory or adding pics/docs...... 8-)

Although I have several aviation apps there is still not enough of them compared to the iPad. I'm sure there will be a bunch more apps as this thing will undoubtedly outsell the iPad......
Alex
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Al
Aircraft Type: DA20-A1
Aircraft Registration: N858DF
Airports: KTOA

Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab

Post by Alex »

Here is something to run on it Ralph (soon)...

http://www.rmstek.com/

I have been using both Flightsoft and Vista for years, and if this new android "Express" program is anywhere near as good, I'll be selling my iPad2 to get a Galaxy to run it.
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

Post by BRS »

I have the GalaxyTab 7" (verizon) the size is good. The problem with the verizon Tab is that if you put it in airplane mode and then turn on the GPS the gps does not really turn on. So you must run it out of airplane mode which is hard on the batter life while in flight. I wish I had the Wifi only version. Another problem (gripe) I have with the verizon GTab7" is that BT mouse and keyboards don't work. They do though with other carriers. Again, I'd get the Wifi only version if I had it to do again.

Apps that I use:
WingX (Pro version not available)
AviationMaps
Weight and Balance
MyFlightbook
FltPlan
X-Plane :-)

I've been wanting to upgrade to the 8.9" version but it is not out. I'm tempted to get the 10.1 version but really that is a bit large like the iPad.
40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

I thought about getting the newer Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 but ended up getting an Asus Eee Pad Transformer instead and am very happy with it thus far. I used it for charts and AF/D while flying from Oregon to Iowa a couple of weeks ago and was impressed by how well it worked. I'm used to using a Kindle for those, but I don't think I'll be going back to that setup after seeing how fast the Asus can access and flip through charts.

I got the wifi-only version and the GPS works just fine when the unit is in airplane mode. The browser on it seems to be able to handle FltPlan, AOPA, weathermeister, NOAA and most other sites without any trouble. Most importantly, it works with DAN (using it now to post this). I do wish there were more Android aviation apps available, but hopefully that will get corrected over time.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by BRS »

Chris, what were the main selling points for the Asus. What do you like the best? How is the screen brightness?
Fly and EAB Sportsman
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Chris »

BRS wrote:Chris, what were the main selling points for the Asus. What do you like the best? How is the screen brightness?
The main selling point for me was the screen. Comparing it side by side with the Samsung 10.1, it was noticeably brighter and clearer. I've had it out on the deck on a sunny day and it was still readable as long as the brightness was cranked up. (The Kindle, however, is in a class all its own if you want to read an approach plate in direct sunlight.) The other things that swayed me in that direction were the fact that it was less expensive than the Samsung and had a microSD expansion slot, which the Samsung lacks.

I've only got a couple of weeks worth of experience with it, but so far it seems to be a pretty solid little tablet. There's also a thin keyboard attachment that you can get which turns it into a mini-notebook, but I haven't really felt the need for that yet.

For in-flight use, I wish it were slightly smaller. It seems like an 8" screen would be ideal.
Chris
KHIO
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by BRS »

Chris wrote: For in-flight use, I wish it were slightly smaller. It seems like an 8" screen would be ideal.
Yeah, I've been holding out for the 8.9" model but I don't know when if every they will release it and if it will be available as Wifi only version.
Fly and EAB Sportsman
Graham
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Graham
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: CYKZ

Post by Graham »

There are rumours floating around that a smaller version of the iPad 3 may be offered in the spring. I really like the variety of apps for the iPad but wish it was a bit smaller.
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by BRS »

Traded in my Galaxy Tab 7" for the Galaxy Tab 8.9". There is more to it than size but I'll not go into detail. Thought I'd post a few pictures for you. The software shown is called simply "AviationMaps". I had to turn down the brightness and put the approach plate in night mode because of the black folder.

I think 8.9 is the perfect size. Never liked the 10.1" tabs.

This one is slipped into a holder which happens to have velcro on the back. Now I can just put this on my knee.
Attachments
2011-10-24_21-48-31_847.jpg
2011-10-24_21-48-31_847.jpg (293.88 KiB) Viewed 5280 times
2011-10-24_21-36-36_114.jpg
2011-10-24_21-36-36_114.jpg (200.85 KiB) Viewed 5280 times
2011-10-24_21-32-52_579.jpg
2011-10-24_21-32-52_579.jpg (395.39 KiB) Viewed 5280 times
Fly and EAB Sportsman
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Chris »

Nice looking setup, Brock. It definitely looks like a better size than my 10.1" tablet. I may need to add that to my Christmas wish list.
Chris
KHIO