3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N43LM
Airports: KROC

TCAS - Is that me ?!?!?

Post by mdieter »

I'm learning a lot about my G1000 system and enjoying it. We have the Avidyne TCAS system installed, and I think we also receive ADS-B traffic with the GTX 33.

Question 1: Does the G1000 display traffic from both sources (TCAS and ADS_B)?

My Dilema: I often see traffic on the display near my position. I can't see it out the window. Often it suddenly appears, jumps around wildly, then disappears. It can be very nerve-wracking to suddenly have that close that you can't seem to avoid. I'm ruining a lot of underwear here. :oops:

Question 2: Anybody experience unexplained traffic very close to them?

Question 3: Is that UFO actually my own ship or could it be some type of artifact? :scratch:
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Re: TCAS - Is that me ?!?!?

Post by Chris B »

mdieter wrote:Question 2: Anybody experience unexplained traffic very close to them?
I have TIS, not ADS-B. The only time I have experienced this has been during maneuvers at relatively low speeds. The delays in the traffic system apparently confuse the algorithms if you are turning, and TIS will put a target right on top of my current position with the audible warning.

The first time this happened it was quite disconcerting! :shock:

Chris
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

See this topic:
http://www.diamondaviators.net/forum/ta ... t4587.html

download the manual link and you can read up on possible artifact targets.

One thing that does make for real targets, that are extremely hard to see, and seem to jump around a lot, are drones. They are flown a lot in the desert between Las Vegas and Southern California, and if talking to center will often get warnings of their activity. Although warned several times by center with corresponding crazy off and on zig zag targets on TCAS, I have yet to actually visualize one of these out my window.
Steve
DA40 XL
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

First, none of the DA40s equipped with the Avidyne TAS 600 active traffic systems can currently detect ADS-B traffic. And the Garmin G1000's GTX 33 ES model transponder with Extended Squitter supporting ADS-B "out" isn't yet available or certified for the DA40.

But there's some potentially good news. Avidyne will offer a trade-in/upgrade of the TAS 600 to a new 600A model that adds ADS-B "in" functionality, and its software will also incorporate the results of a research project Avidyne conducted with MIT that promises to greatly reduce false alarms for transponder and ADS-B targets. Availability of the TAS 600A hasn't yet been announced; certification by the FAA always seems to take forever. Hopefully sometime next year.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Oops, while the Avidyne TAS 600A will add ADS-B, I'm not sure it will include the improved MIT-developed algorithms for minimizing false traffic alarms -- which are promised for the TAS 605A and above models. I suppose Avidyne's plans are subject to change.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Paul
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: 600MU
Airports: KOGD

Post by Paul »

I find when traffic is skipping all over the place it's because the TCAS can't quite figure out what side it's on, which means it's pretty close to your track. Also, when traffic is passing you, sometimes it will show behind you and then swing really far to the side and then go ahead of you. If I see traffic, first I check the altitude because I find that to be more reliable, then I look for distance then I use the location information. Traffic climbing 2,000 feet above me at 3 miles away isn't much of a threat.

The only time I have seen false positives is flying along a ridge line where sometimes I'll see traffic that is really close but far below me. I used to ignore these until one flight somewhere near the Grand Canyon where I had one of these "shadow" false positives for at least 15 minutes. I was starting to get really annoyed until I saw a plane 3,000 feet below following my same course. Now I never ignore the diamonds nor do I let them distract me - unless they are really close.
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

Can anyone tell me what TCAS system is currently available/recommened for DA40 WAAS enabled G1000 systems as well as what is required for the installation (external antennas, etc)?

I know ADSB is the new thing but here in Canada ADSB may or may not be implemented which means most of the older GA Aircraft's may never have it. I am looking for the best possible solution for some realistic peace of mind in my neck of the woods. Thanks.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Technically speaking, there are no TCAS systems available for DA40 G1000 aircraft. TCAS was developed for airliners with "resolution advisories" commanding pilots to climb or descend when nearby traffic is detected; there's nothing available for a DA40 that will do that.

Instead, you're probably thinking of a TAS system that "pings" nearby transponders to generate a reply, from which the TAS system can display the approximate location of the target on the G1000. For the DA40, the only TAS system certified with the G1000 is the Avidyne 600-series product. It uses diversity antennas (top and bottom of the fuselage) so that it can track targets above and below the aircraft. A TAS system will work anywhere in the world where other aircraft have their transponders turned on, including Canada, and is not dependent on ground stations for the G1000 to display all types of traffic.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

Dave, yes you are correct, I am looking for a TAS system. I am surprised my XLS does not have it. The more I read about mid-air collisions combined with the fact that ADSB-IN will do me little good in Ontario I am searching. Do you know about the install job for the Avidyne 600? Can they use antennas already installed on an XLS or is a pull the plane job, bore fuselage, etc? Any ideas on approximate cost?
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

gordsh wrote:Any ideas on approximate cost?
Last year I was quoted ~$10k for a used TAS600, installed. New antennas were definitely required. That local shop had just replaced several TAS600 units, so used models were already on-hand. I decided to pass.