3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wolfgang
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N430PS
Airports: MYNN NASSAU BAHAMAS

G1000 Flight Data for Analysis and Logbook

Post by wolfvoador »

For the last 2 years, I have used AvConnect to upload my flight data from the SD card (recorded in MFD upper slot). Worked quite nicely, as AvConnect kept a digital pilot logbook (with IFR, night recency check), and a digital airframe/engine Logbook (with checks on required maintenance). The only issue I had that minor airports in South America and Europe where I flew, were not in their database, and showed as blanks, but I entered them in the Remarks section, as they never replied to my requests, neither phone nor mail.
Now I had to change my Laptop, and had to reinstall their software, but it is no longer on their site, and support services are not replying again, so I'm stuck!
1) Is anybody using AvConnect, and has an idea how to get the software?
2) Any other, better serviced solution available to manage logbook and maintenance directly from flight data?
I appreciate any help (my google searches always bring me back to AvConnect)
robert63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Registration: OE-FAR
Airports: LOWL

Re: G1000 Flight Data for Analysis and Logbook

Post by robert63 »

Wolfgang,
the Garmin Pilot app has an integrated logbook. It automatically records the flights as well. But it cannot import from G1000 as far as I know. I'm not using it yet, but considering it instead of JeppFD and LogTen Pro.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

ForeFlight's new logbook records automatically. I switched from LogTen Pro to their logbook feature.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Since you're using log files from the MFD upper slot, you can upload these files to any of a number of free websites that decode DA40 G1000 log files and generate charts and maps. A few that I've used include:
1. This website's REPORTS section
2. Cirrus Reports (http://www.cirrusreports.com); this is the site I used for my DA40 for many years
3. Savvy Analysis (http://www.savvyanalysis.com); this is one of the best for plotting engine parameters.

None of these "analysis" websites will replace your logbook, however, since they don't let you add remarks, include endorsements, show currency or instrument approaches, numbers of takeoff/landings, night flights, x-country hours, etc.
So I still maintain an old fashioned paper logbook in addition to using the analysis and reporting websites above.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Colin wrote:ForeFlight's new logbook records automatically. I switched from LogTen Pro to their logbook feature.
I could not find a way for ForeFlight to calculate true flight time. It calculates flight time by airspeed. But, you should be recording flight time as the time when engine was started for movement to when engine was stopped at hangar. I use MyFlightbook for logging flights since it can track all this (as well as track your tach time if you wish for engine/airframe tracking). It would have been nice if I could have used the auto-logging from the G1000, but that was not available in my version of the G1000.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Wilfried
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wilfried
Aircraft Registration: OEFSJ
Airports: EDMA

Post by Wilfried »

Robert,
I am also using the combination JeppFD and LogTenPro and considering to move to Garmin Pilot. Last weekend I did a night flight with a friend into Hamburg in bad weather conditions and I was pretty convinced by the advantages of the Garmin App. Do you still use the old-fashioned paper logbook? I wonder if it is required in Austria, in Germany it is (JAR-FCL is a myth!). A couple of weeks ago I had a ramp check at my home airport and was reminded on my duties... Do you have any plans on how to handle your "old" LogTenPro files?
42.N020
robert63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Registration: OE-FAR
Airports: LOWL

Post by robert63 »

Wilfried wrote:Robert,
I am also using the combination JeppFD and LogTenPro and considering to move to Garmin Pilot. Last weekend I did a night flight with a friend into Hamburg in bad weather conditions and I was pretty convinced by the advantages of the Garmin App. Do you still use the old-fashioned paper logbook? I wonder if it is required in Austria, in Germany it is (JAR-FCL is a myth!). A couple of weeks ago I had a ramp check at my home airport and was reminded on my duties... Do you have any plans on how to handle your "old" LogTenPro files?
Wilfried, I have now purchased the Garmin Pilot App (respectively the Global Premium subscription for € 149,99) and loaded the Jeppesen charts into it. Will use it today for the first time. It is possible to export the LogTenPro data into a tab delimited file. Garmin Pilot has an import function from a template, but you need to copy/paste the data and probably convert it somehow. Haven't done that yet. I'm using LogTenPro for several years already. If someone needs a hardcopy of my logbook I print the pages and sign it. So far nobody has complained about this.
wolfvoador
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wolfgang
Aircraft Registration: N430PS
Airports: MYNN NASSAU BAHAMAS

Post by wolfvoador »

Thank you for all your inputs and tipps!!! Really appreciate. But neither Foreflight nor Garmin seem to be able to create all the outputs from one source, like AvConnect does (did?). See the screenshots from my logbook (for the last 3 years, I keep my logbook in digital form, and insert a hardcopy of the flights of a calendar year into my physical logbook. Also recency checks and BFR are of course entered there "the conventional way", eg, from hand. All the rest simply by inserting the SD card into a slot on my laptop.
Same source used for maintenance, and countdowns to all next revisions, oil changes, Annual, Overhaul etc.
So, from what I read, nothing comparable known to AvConnect. Will try to get them to reactivate their software, and inform you if/when I'm successful.
Attachments
Logbook AvConnect.pdf
Logbook of my last flights (see the 9.6 hours ocean crossing ;-))
(50.87 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
AvConnect Maintenance.pdf
Maintenance count down
(281.17 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Dashboard AvConnect.pdf
Main dashboard, same info as Foreflight
(421.87 KiB) Downloaded 236 times