3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ron
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N84LT
Airports: KFAR

Garmin OnePak vs PilotPak

Post by rdrobson »

Hello everyone,

I just took delivery of a DA62 and was looking to subscribe to Garmin updates. In reviewing their website, it didn't really jump out at me what the difference is between their 'OnePak' and their 'PilotPak'. Anyone with experience have a nutshell description of the differences?

Thanks,

Ron
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Garmin OnePak vs PilotPak

Post by CFIDave »

For North America, both packages are functionally identical; the difference is that NavData file (updated every 28 days) is provided by Garmin (OnePak) vs. Jeppesen (PilotPak). Other files in the bundle are provided by Garmin.

The all-Garmin OnePak is cheaper, so that's what I have in my DA62.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
rdrobson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ron
Aircraft Registration: N84LT
Airports: KFAR

Post by rdrobson »

Great, thanks for the quick answer!

One more related question. The FliteCharts are just the electronic representation of the paper approach plates and procedures, right? I already have them on Foreflight so I'm not sure I need them on the MFD.

--Ron
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Correct. FliteCharts = paper approach charts.

And I agree with your logic. I didn't pay extra for approach charts to show up on the MFD, given that I already have them on my iPad with Foreflight. I'd rather use the MFD to display Flight Plan mode when flying approaches.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

CFIDave wrote:For North America, both packages are functionally identical; the difference is that NavData file (updated every 28 days) is provided by Garmin (OnePak) vs. Jeppesen (PilotPak). Other files in the bundle are provided by Garmin.

The all-Garmin OnePak is cheaper, so that's what I have in my DA62.
Dave,

Not sure what the current state is; but there were some subtle differences between the Garmin and Jepp databases. Both in the terms of the display, and included information. I believe it was Jepp that includes some information from the AF/D on the chart and Garmin does not. Also, the display was slightly different at one point.

Lastly, there are differences in processing (I am going on memory, so I may have them reversed). Not sure how much this is still an issue, however when the FAA made unilateral changes to the VDA a few years ago values forcing a value of 0 if the FAA did not calculate it (versus leave it blank); the way Garmin processed the information caused hundreds of viable LNAV approaches to be dropped from the database. The situation was reversed at another point when there was a change to LPV area definition and Jepp was late accommodating the data change and dropped all LPV approaches for a few days.

Tim
DA62
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Registration: N62NC
Airports: KGSO

Post by DA62 »

If you go with Jep charts you have to have an unlock card which is quite expensive if I remember correctly.
Congrats on your DA62!!!!!
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

TimS wrote:Not sure what the current state is; but there were some subtle differences between the Garmin and Jepp databases. Both in the terms of the display, and included information. I believe it was Jepp that includes some information from the AF/D on the chart and Garmin does not. Also, the display was slightly different at one point.

Lastly, there are differences in processing (I am going on memory, so I may have them reversed). Not sure how much this is still an issue, however when the FAA made unilateral changes to the VDA a few years ago values forcing a value of 0 if the FAA did not calculate it (versus leave it blank); the way Garmin processed the information caused hundreds of viable LNAV approaches to be dropped from the database. The situation was reversed at another point when there was a change to LPV area definition and Jepp was late accommodating the data change and dropped all LPV approaches for a few days.
It wasn't that long ago that Garmin started providing NavData files; previously we *had* to get NavData files from Jepp. So I'm not surprised that there were some slight hiccups when Garmin started providing NavData, but over the last 2 years or so I have no complaints.

The biggest difference is geographic coverage; if you fly outside of North America you *have* to go with Jeppesen, both for NavData and for approach charts (i.e., Jepp ChartView instead of Garmin FliteCharts). And as Mike noted, to use Jepp Chartview for approach charts also requires you to pay $4K up front for a ChartView software unlock card for the G1000. For legacy G1000s changing from ChartView back to FliteCharts also requires an entirely new G1000 software re-installation; for G1000 NXi, an owner can actually subscribe to both types of approach charts and switch back and forth at will.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

In North America, we have access to the incredible value ($200/yr - YGBSM!) of ForeFlight's current "paper" copy of every chart we need to be legal and safe on an inexpensive iPad. It is the third screen (adding to the G1000 PFD and MFD) that renders all of the Jepps and Garmin products beyond the $299 "G1000 Family United States Garmin Navigation Database" subscription not only obsolete, but potentially a detractor to safe cockpit information management. Paying more for the ability to drop valuable situational awareness, weather, wind, flight plan, vertical planning, etc., etc., etc., from the MFD in order to view chart information I already have on my third screen made no sense to me at all, so I stuck with the $299/yr basic Nav database subscription only.

I'll never have a use for Airport Directory, FlightCharts, or SafeTaxi database updates, since that functionality is already included in the ForeFlight/iPad/Stratus 2 combobulation and frees up my MFD for more important information. I may update the Obstacle ($49.95) and Terrain ($150.00) databases now and then, but even a single year of OnePaks ($649 minimum) or PilotPaks ($559.00 minimum) to get this limited additional functionality makes no financial sense to me.
BkFlyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by BkFlyer »

I just signed my second year of the $650 NA bundle after not buying any updates for the first 4 years with the G1000. What changed is that i did my IFR training (and then my partner started it just as renewal was up).

You do make a good case though. It’s not all that useful to update SafeTaxi other than to get rid of the “EXPIRED” warning... which may actually matter to CFII and DPE.

Then again I’m paying only $26/year more than you since it’s a shared airplane, so the absolute value is basically the same.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Can someone point me to the differences in map coverage between the "United States" and "Americas" options on the Garmin "One Pak"? I'm interested in knowing what marginal coverage of Canadian airspace (and airports?) is provided in the United States Package. A practical application of this: could I fly to/from the Diamond factory (CYXU) from the USA with the United States package?