3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: VHYDZ
Airports: YMMB

Bose ProFlite Headset PIREP in a 42-VI

Post by dselder1962 »

I tried them in my Diamond 42-VI, which does have a slightly quieter cockpit than my previous Cirrus as the engines are obviously not right in front of the pilot. So I thought they might work.

But in spite of persevering, and trying all three sizes of earbuds, I just couldn’t get them comfortable, and when fiddling with the earbuds, it would think I was tapping and would turn the ANR off.

I have previously flown with Clarity Aloft and had no problems with the earbuds, before turning to my Lightspeed PFX, to which I have returned.

Even if you do get them fitting I don’t think they give as much protection as the over the ear headsets, and in a single especially, but also in this twin I would think your long term NIHL may creep up sooner than you think.

Great thing about Bose though is they do offer the 30 day trial. I lasted about 2weeks before the decision was obvious.

David
David
Based in Moorabbin, Australia. 8-)
Past Cirrus 20
Past Cirrus 22T
Present Diamond 42-VI
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Re: Bose ProFlite Headset PIREP in a 42-VI

Post by jb642DA »

Hi David -

I've gone through a number of different headset "trials" like you - While the Bose A20s are incredibly quiet, I don't like the clamping and "hot" ears. I've settled on the Clarity Alofts - very comfortable to wear for a long time especially when its warm outside. I also like being able to "hear" the plane and engines some versus no airplane sounds with the active headsets. A friend of mine tried the Bose "pros" in a PC12, CJ1, Cirrus SR22 and our DA62 during the 30 day trial - He decided to return them too!
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

The Bose are a non-starter for me since they require batteries. I do wonder what Clarity Aloft would be like with custom-molded earplugs. I had the Alofts with the plane when I bought it (it came with two pair, I got the salesman to throw in two more; in the end only our younger son used his and the rest went on eBay). Friends in the rock business use in-ear monitors that seem to use a similar set of hardware, but they have the ear portion custom molded. Has anyone done that for their Alofts?
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
dselder1962
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by dselder1962 »

Colin
Just one point about the Bose: my version had the Lemo connection which means it is powered off the plane, so no batteries needed.
I never needed the custom moulded plugs for the Clarity but I do know what you are talking about with the Shure earplugs: they fit like a dream. In fact I did look at whether I could take them and fit them on the Clarity but it didn't work, and then I went to Lightspeed PFX which is marvellous.
The Clarity on a hot day and no headband hair though is the one thing I miss.
David
David
Past Cirrus 20
Past Cirrus 22T
Present Diamond 42-VI
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Colin »

The regular Bose can be powered by LEMO, but when I called them to ask if there was a LEMO Proflight that didn't need batteries they said there wasn't yet, but it was something they would release later.
dselder1962
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by dselder1962 »

Colin
Gosh that is interesting, because before I "bought it" I did check with the local Bose who told me yes it was powered from the LEMO/airplane. If it also took batteries I would have put them in as a back up in case of the LEMO failing. So I am no clearer as to whether it does or does not run off the LEMO: I assumed it was but I now can't remember if I put batteries in as I only had it for a couple of weeks.
Just asking but why are you so against batteries: I did go to the LEMO plugs so I didn't have to carry spare ones for my PFX as I am flying twice a week, but my other LIghtspeed twin plugs (with LEMO adapters) for all the passengers still need batteries and they do last months and months and also give you a red light warning of a couple of hours during which time I replace them, no probs.
Cheers
David
David
Past Cirrus 20
Past Cirrus 22T
Present Diamond 42-VI
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by jb642DA »

Another very light weight option you may like......
TelexProIII.jpg
TelexProIII.jpg (13 KiB) Viewed 4208 times
Available from many vendors but here are some specifics through Sportys -
https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/aviat ... adset.html

I use the Telex 5x5Pro when flying for "work" - I've also used it in our 42 and 62. You can try it with the "ear buds" and head piece (the way you buy it) to see if you like it. If you do, the boom mike can be mounted to a molded ear piece and bar.
Telex5x5.jpg
Telex5x5.jpg (3.64 KiB) Viewed 4211 times
Total weight in your ear is about 1 ounce. It's a "mono" setup versus "stereo". When I fly with the Telex in the 62, I use an ear plug in my other ear. The molded ear piece does a great job of blocking noise. Also, I can wear the molded ear version all day long - just make sure you get a well fitting mold!
Telex5x5inear.jpg
(NOT my head - better looking "model" than me - less "wrinkles" too!!)
Looking!
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Colin »

I hated keeping batteries in the plane. And I had one takeoff where it failed (yes, green light on the ground) just as I climbed through 50 feet AGL. That distracted me enough that I didn't pull up the gear for an additional thirty seconds. I have really loved having the four headsets on ships power.
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Post by Pascal »

I recently purchased a Lightspeed Zulu3 headset. I flew with and without anr and I could live with them without anr in a pinch. Which means I classify running out of batteries as a minor annoyance.

I had read online that they provided great rendering of music streamed via Bluetooth and it’s true. Dare I say they sound better than my expensive audiophile headsets at home for listening to all sorts of music.

My girlfriend likes them too so I’ll order a second one soon.
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by jb642DA »

Pascal wrote:I recently purchased a Lightspeed Zulu3 headset. I flew with and without anr and I could live with them without anr in a pinch. Which means I classify running out of batteries as a minor annoyance.

I had read online that they provided great rendering of music streamed via Bluetooth and it’s true. Dare I say they sound better than my expensive audiophile headsets at home for listening to all sorts of music.

My girlfriend likes them too so I’ll order a second one soon.
My wife LOVES her Zulu3s! She chose them over Bose A20s and feels the same about the bluetooth music as you do!
Looking!