3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wilfried
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: OEFSJ
Airports: EDMA

Recommended iPad model

Post by Wilfried »

Hi folks,

my iPad Air2 just quit service. Obviously time to buy a new one. Before doing this I want to get your view on iPad models. What is best for a DA42 cockpit? Currently I use a mygoflight mount with suction cup attached to canopy (left side).
42.N020
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Recommended iPad model

Post by CFIDave »

For a relatively cramped DA20/DA40/DA42 cockpit, it's hard not to recommend an iPad Mini. But for a DA62, a "full-size" 10-11 inch iPad, Air, or Pro will work nicely (the 12.5 inch iPad Pro is too big).
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I second the minis. I've used 3 in succession. I have found a way to make a Pro 11 work for me in my 40, but it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. Nor would my trick with the minis, which was to mount it on the stick. None have had the built-in cell/GPS option. I've used Stratus since the Stratus 2 came out but now combine that with Garmin Connext via FS210, which is primary for position and backup AHRS. The Stratus is backup for those functions plus it provides ADS-B IN.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

Over the years I've tried both the mini and the Air, mounted and on my legs in my steam gauge DA40. Recently traded in my 9.7 Air 2 for the new 10.5 Air 3rd gen (which is the old 10.5 Pro with updated processor). It's slightly taller than the Air 2 but only a hair wider. The new (cheaper) Ipad 7th gen doesn't have anti-glare coating and the 11 is taller and wider. I find I just need the larger format, especially for tracking weather. Ended up using Myclip from Sporty's to hold it on my right leg with a sock underneath to prop it up. I tried mounting on the left side of the canopy but found it too close visually and too hard to reach across with my right hand to manipulate, not to mention constantly forgetting to take off the power supply before I opened the canopy at the end of a flight.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

IMG_0392.jpeg
I have tried multiple options, including the knee-pad option. The best configuration, which I am now really happy with and have no desire to change is the iPad Air 2, mounted per the attached photo. I used to have a charging cable running from the power outlet to the iPad to keep it charged, but now just simply use a small powerpack in the map pocket directly beneath. So if I forget to disconnect the cable from the iPad prior to opening the canopy, no issue.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

There are two reasons I found mounting to the canopy to be unsuitable.

One is the fact it basically needs to be mounted on the vent window, which I occasionally need to open on the ground and it would add considerable weight (for the Pro 11, close to 2 pounds, if you include the mounting hardware) to the window. With the questionable nature of the latch and the fact I have had a hinge (on the other side) loose its bond with the canopy, I'm not in love with this approach.

But the bigger factor is that to my left side is the wrong place for me. It's a personal ergonomic issue. And it's partly influenced by the fact of a six-pack/GNS panel rather than a glass panel.

A suggestion for those attaching to the canopy: I did give this an experimental try and solved the issue of plugging into the USB adapter and not having a problem raising the canopy by using a 2-meter cord routed under the panel and up through the space in the instrument panel cover where the canopy arm travels. This way the cord would benignly "rotate" along with the iPad.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Actually Rich you just gave me an idea. The clamp I use can be rotated in almost any direction / configuration. I am going to adjust it to not affix to the window.
Wilfried
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wilfried
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: OEFSJ
Airports: EDMA

Post by Wilfried »

I have the same iPad (Air2) setup like Andrew, using a mygoflight adapter (see picture). Years ago I had attached the suction cup to the vent window, which finally broke the lock (now I have 3D printed locks - thanks to Kai). I make sure that the cup is attached forward of the window. Other than that I made the experience that the whole apparatus tends to fall down, when I need it the least. Think one factor is the weight of the Air. I will try a mini now.
Attachments
InkedIMG-0527_LI.jpg
42.N020
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

I personally have found suction cup mounts work well - until they don't :scream:

Sunlight heats the remaining trapped air inside, which expands. You climb to altitude where the air pressure falls off (which is really what holds it in place). Some microscope scratch in the canopy very slowly lets air seep in under the cup. And ... there it goes. :tap:
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

0F846ADB-FBA1-46F1-9737-C65C63E67013.jpeg
I use a mini with a ram mount and associated ram hardware. It is affixed to the lowest part of the panel. Remove the two farthest left screws and get longer ones. The ram mount holes actually line up perfect so no drilling.

FYI one of the few screws in the plane that are SAE and not metric (arghhhh)
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated