Ceramic coating to composite planes

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Ceramic coating to composite planes

Post by Pehu »

Dear hivemind,

In our DA42 forum there was a brief discussion/mention about ceramic coating to a DA42. I have been silently wondering about these coatings, I took one to my car and I was happy how it turned out.

So the questions are:

1) Are there any real benefit(s) using these ceramic coatings on a composite plane? (I have DA40NG)
2) What is a good / working coating for composite planes? There are many brands, but as I understood it, these coatings require either paint or metal/aluminium for them to stick. Preferably it should be something that I can apply without professional spray equipment etc

A new DA40NG will be arriving early next year and I am interested of protecting the fuselage/wings/canopy for small scratches etc.
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Based in Locarno, Switzerland
Derek
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Derek
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGPDN
Airports: CYTZ

Re: Ceramic coating to composite planes

Post by Derek »

Good question, I haven’t heard of this product until now. I’d suggest snooping around the internet to see what others say, and ask the manufacturer. One consideration is will it affect future repairs: we shouldn’t use products containing silicone for example because it doesn’t let new fibreglass or paint repairs adhere properly.

Let us know if you find anything else out or decide to try it. It looks like a great idea for a painted plane that is designed to last many decades. My DA20 is 17 years old and must live outside. A coating like this would be a big help to protect its finish.