Transitioning to DA42 questions

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

ncrcurios

Transitioning to DA42 questions

Post by ncrcurios »

What are the learning curves like transitioning from 1979 Piper Seminole to a 2008 DA42 Centurion 2.0 with GFC 700?
I am very familiar with the G1000 glass cockpit having flown other aircrafts.
Any insightful information will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.
Aart
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Aart
Aircraft Type: DA42
Airports:

Re: Transitioning to DA42 questions

Post by Aart »

It is going to be a disappointment... You will never have seen such a flat curve in your life ;)
Especially if you already know the G1000 it's a non-event.
Compared to any other twin, the DA42 is a lot easier to handle on a single-engine. No serious yaw, and simple engine/feathering management. Normal flight is stable, and the aircraft is easy to land. The only difference may be that you need to work your feet a little more. And get accustomed to these low fuel bills..
Aart
DA42.332 PH-CCD LESB (Palma de Mallorca, Spain)
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I haven't flown any other twin, but I can tell you the transition from a DA40 was much easier than I expected. I actually went from three levers to control the power to only two. And when I lose an engine I'm down to just the one. I spent fifteen hours flying around on a single engine and when I cranking in a little rudder trim it was really a non-event. I now have two hundred hours in my DA42 and it has been incredibly smooth, no sharp edges or surprises.

Okay, I was surprised how cheaper JetA could be. But that was it.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

I will only add that landing the DA42 has never been an issue. A my passengers are amazed at how smooth it lands, never a bounce or hard landing. I just love those landing gears.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Paul
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: 600MU
Airports: KOGD

Post by Paul »

I did my multi engine in a DA42 about a month ago over the course of four days. If you know the G1000, it will be easy. Very straightforward, typical Diamond forgiving handling and that trailing link gear makes every landing a joy.

Do you jet guys use fuel cards?
ncrcurious

Post by ncrcurious »

So, the next question will be:
How long did it take for you guys to learn how to fly the DA42 with the multi engine check ride/flight test (excluding the G1000 itself)?
What did you guys do for the check ride/flight test that were specific/pertaining to the DA42?
Thank You
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Loving the fuel cards. I had no idea before I bought the plane.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

ncrcurious wrote:So, the next question will be:
How long did it take for you guys to learn how to fly the DA42 with the multi engine check ride/flight test (excluding the G1000 itself)?
What did you guys do for the check ride/flight test that were specific/pertaining to the DA42?
Thank You
I am not sure how to answer this, because it will depend upon where you are located and how much multi engine time you have. When I got my DA42 I had 700 hours of twin Cessna time, so my insurance only required 5 hours of dual with a DA42 knowledgeable instructor. I then flew the plane for about 50-70 hours before going to London ON to do the transition training there. The transition course from Diamond was very helpful. Because I was already twin rated I didn't need a check ride/flight test. I am not sure if this is very helpful to you or not.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Paul
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: 600MU
Airports: KOGD

Post by Paul »

I had/have no plans to fly a DA42 on a regular basis. I just wanted a multi-engine rating. Over the course of 4 days, I flew 9.5 hours then took the check ride. I had zero multi time prior to this but 1,500 hours total time in both high performance and complex planes. The only thing I did prior to my training was read the POH and as well as a DA42 iBook I found. The reason why you guys are all above average pilots is because my numbers get included in the total so my guess is somewhere between 8 and 15 is what it will take. Like most flight training, it will take longer if you only do it once or twice a week.

BREAK

Colin, have you tried jetfuelx.com? It's awesome. Never mind, just read your blog post. I use CAA, UVAir and Shell. I have one or two more but the three I mentioned are what I use 98% of the time.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Compared to a Seminole, the DA42 is a much easier plane to fly, particularly if you're already very familiar with the G1000. Single-lever power controls (vs. mixture and prop), no hot or cold starts, and more docile handling.

I'm guessing that if you're already comfortable with a G1000 and a Seminole, that you'd only need about 3-5 hours of transition training.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI