DA42-VI vs BRS

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

H60 pilot

Re: DA42-VI vs BRS

Post by H60 pilot »

Looks like 198. Not bad right, but not at all surprising. It's been known for a number of years Diamond has been the envy of manufacturers in terms of safety. Thousand things I don't like about Diamond, but building a an airplane that flies with unmatched safety is not one of them.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry ... 2&PageNo=1
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I thought there were over 200 DA42s in North America. I can't remember where I saw that figure.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

There seem to be 24 registered in Canada currently.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

As H60 pilot's link to the FAA Registry database shows, there are 198 DA42s that are US N-registered. However, not all of these are based in the US, since N-registry is sometimes used for DA42s located in other countries. Adding in Canada, there are somewhere around 200 DA42s in North America.

But there do not seem to be any N-registered DA42 fatalities, and only a few accidents. Not bad for a plane that's been flying for more than 10 years.
Last edited by CFIDave on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: OEFGM
Airports: EDLN

Post by dgger »

Extrapolating from the highest publically known serial numbers (found on the U.S. registry, Controller et. al.) I would put the total number built at a good 1000.

Since Diamond is not a U.S.manufacturer incidents and accidents reported do not show on the NTSB database unless they happen in the U.S. or involve an aircraft on U.S. registry. Over at the aviation safety network there is an attempt to crowd source GA accidents worldwide. They have a searchable database here: https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wikisearch.php. They show 11 known fatal accidents with DA42s. Some rather odd such as a suicide and an aircraft lost by Diamond itself demoing its MPP platform.

Before buying a DA42 I have obsessively looked into accident rates and compared SR22s with DA42s. I have no found a significant difference in accident rates between the two aircraft. The number of accidents is (fortunately) rather small.

Post by guest »

Among the ~800 DA42 built, ~10 involved fatal accidents in a ~10 yr span, and statistically the number will be about 1/20 in a ~40 yr span, the same as the good old Duchess (Be-76; total ~400 built) among which 20 were involved in fatal accidents in the past 40 years.

The statistics should also hold true for the ~1600 DA40 built.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

dgger wrote:Over at the aviation safety network there is an attempt to crowd source GA accidents worldwide. They have a searchable database here: https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wikisearch.php.
This is missing known incidents that appear in the NTSB DB, though it does have more non-US stuff. One needs to merge the two for a fuller picture.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: OEFGM
Airports: EDLN

Post by dgger »

Rich wrote:
dgger wrote:Over at the aviation safety network there is an attempt to crowd source GA accidents worldwide. They have a searchable database here: https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wikisearch.php.
This is missing known incidents that appear in the NTSB DB, though it does have more non-US stuff. One needs to merge the two for a fuller picture.
Yes, you do. I agree, since the majority of DA42s are operated outside the U.S. adding the global incidents and accidents is necessary to complete the picture.

In any case, one issue persists: we will only get the lower bounds as an unknown number of accidents and incidents go unreported and most countries' reportings and investigations are sub-par. This is particularly true for Austria where accident investigations are kept a state secret by law (no kidding!) as to not hurt the local economy. A series of accidents in the past, however, had prompted the Austrian parliament in to scrutinize Diamond and its cosyness with the aviation authorities.
scguest

Post by scguest »

Checked the DB, there are 200+ DA42/62 in the US. Is there any data about single engine failure (that obviously did end up well)? How confident are you guys about the AE300? Thx
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

scguest wrote:How confident are you guys about the AE300? Thx
- Personally confident enough to ferry a DA42-VI across the cold N. Atlantic without wearing an immersion suit.
- Personally confident enough to buy our second new Austro-powered plane (taking delivery of a DA62 next month after owning a DA42-VI for 4 years).

Based on their multi-year experience operating 4 Austro AE300-powered DA42 NGs at their Prescott, AZ campus, Embry-Riddle U ordered and took delivery of 10 more Austro AE300-powered DA42-VIs for their Daytona Beach, FL campus last year.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI