Trying to decide

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Paul
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: 600MU
Airports: KOGD

Re: Trying to decide

Post by Paul »

Colin wrote:I have always said that I didn't think there was a better plane for the first 500 hours than the DA40. Maybe there will be times that you can't take all the people you want with you. Maybe there are times you need to land and walk around to stretch your legs and rest your back from a seat that has a single position. But it is so forgiving that I believe that outweighs those considerations. At least for me, by a wide margin. After you have had it for two and a half years you will know much more about the kind of missions you are doing and whether you should get a DA42, a C210 or just slip a G500 into it.
I couldn't agree more. After 600 hours, I went from a DA40 to a Cirrus and now a Meridian. I am extremely grateful for how well my DA40 took care of me.
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Post by Pascal »

Wildair17 wrote:Well I passed my checkride few weeks back.
Congratulations!
Wildair17 wrote:My mission would be normal weekend trips min 150 nm each way.. once a year long trip to New Orleans, New Mexico, and something similar.
Wildair17 wrote:Looking for something that moves fairly quick.
Speed is the opium of pilots. But for 150nm trips, the difference between a 120 knots and a 150 knots machine is irrelevant in my humble opinion. I have taken quite a few 300nm trips with my DA20, cruising at 110 knots. And while I could have shaved half an hour to these trips with a faster machine costing twice as much, I am happy to be the sole owner of an airplane I can afford to own outright, fly and maintain without it putting stress on my budget.
Wildair17 wrote:It would be nice if we could take another couple on few trips.
Day sightseeing trips, with half fuel, sure. Multi-days with luggage, not so much. But realistically, how often are yuou going to bring another couple for a weekend trip or weeklong vacation?
Wildair17 wrote:I worry about payload and the Texas heat.
My DA20-C1 can only bring 44lbs of luggage. I can go camping with two adults (myself and another person), with toothbrush, clothes, food and camping gear including ultralight camping gear (tent, sleeping bags, cookware, etc.). I learned to travel light.

As for the Texas heat, it can be a real annoyance. I typically fly between 7500 and 9500 ft high to get away from the heat. Also, I try to fly early in the morning or after 4pm. In my parts of the world, turbulence in the hot summer afternoons can be a real turnoff for my passengers.
dwurfel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: DAVID
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N542GL
Airports: KTAD

Post by dwurfel »

I have had my 12 XLS for 3 years now and could not have made a better choice. Just got my instrument ticket and it was a great platform to do so. Rarely fly with more than one passenger. With the long range tanks it gives me a range, efficiency and speed at 65% power. The g1000 is the best. A keyboard would be great but am getting pretty good turning big k and little k. My only gripe is the seat comfort. You have to put a seat pad in for any trip past one hour.
And finally the airplane is made for skinny european's so anyone with a wide rear end and gut is going to not be comfortable.
Wildair17

Post by Wildair17 »

Ya my wife and I are fit. I'm only 5'9-10 175 and the wife 5'8 and lean. Hopefully the canopy doesn't get the wife feeling claustrophobic. Steve let us come by yesterday to let her see it and sit in it.. she liked it alot but also worried about canopy lol. But hard to find a good plane right now. Saw A DA40 2003 for sale. Sold quick. Thinking of maybe looking for a partner but hard to find one in San Antonio. Not very GA friendly around here compared to other metropolitan areas in my opinion.
dwurfel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by dwurfel »

Canopy is Jeckle and Hyde. Canopy provides best view ever and with wing slightly behind the wing you get low and high wing advantages. In Summer hers can be atrocious. I was in KS City in June with temp 100 plus and thought I was going to pass out. Best rule, in Summer fly early.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Summer flight into into KS City one afternoon was a flight that made my wife nervous. She looked over and I was trying to keep the sweat from running into my eyes and blinding me. ATC had us down to 2,500 where is was nearly a hundred degrees. She had one of the boys pass up a handkerchief and now that lives in the pilot's handy storage.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
dwurfel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by dwurfel »

I have one of those one of those cool neckerchiefs but have not used yet. Also have looked into sheepskin seats ( about 245 a piece for front seats ) that have been told keep you cooler in summer and warmer in winter.
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

I have the sheepskin seats here in SoCal. They work strangely well for both hot and cool.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

dwurfel wrote:I have one of those one of those cool neckerchiefs but have not used yet. Also have looked into sheepskin seats ( about 245 a piece for front seats ) that have been told keep you cooler in summer and warmer in winter.
Living in S. TX, hot weather is a near constant issue. I've wondered about devices like this:

http://www.veskimo.com/liquid-cooled-mi ... -vest.html

but they are pricey enough to make me hesitant.

Steve
Wildair17

Post by Wildair17 »

I have a friend who has this cooler for A/C and loves it.. he just uses it for taxi, take off, and landing. http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStor ... FMQAvD_BwE