DA40NG

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Re: DA40NG

Post by pietromarx »

Dave - do you think that the G1000 NXi certification would allow for retrofit installations to replace legacy G1000s? Just curious.

Thanks
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

pietromarx wrote:Dave - do you think that the G1000 NXi certification would allow for retrofit installations to replace legacy G1000s? Just curious.
I have no knowledge of Diamond's plans to eventually permit legacy G1000 --> G1000 NXi upgrades in DA40s, but consider the following:

1. Diamond has already approved a legacy G1000 to NXi upgrade for the DA62 (there's an Optional Service Bulletin for it:
http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... pgrade.pdf)
I know of at least one DA62 NXi upgrade that's already been performed. Note: the NXi upgrade for a DA62 is more complex because NXi includes (requires?) installation of fuel gauges for the DA62's auxiliary fuel tanks -- gauges that were not included in Diamond twins with legacy G1000s.

2. Garmin has already announced NXi upgrades for selected aircraft manufacturers other than Diamond. The good news is that the only thing typically required is to replace PFD and MFD screens -- the remainder of the G1000 LRUs may be reused. (Again this isn't the case for Diamond twins that may also need aux tank fuel gauges added.) Garmin claims that in some cases the upgrade can be done in one day. The cost for such an upgrade for a 3-screen TBM or King Air (two 10-inch PFDs and one 15-inch MFD) is about $50K.

3. Read the last sentence of this Diamond press release:
http://www.diamond-air.at/en/media-cent ... ight-deck/
Note that it doesn't mention the Lycoming DA40, but that's because the announcement was made by Diamond Austria that doesn't produce or sell Lycoming DA40s.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Keith M wrote:As a consequence of the VW emissions scandal and the political reality that the only way to reduce pollution levels in our cities is to ban diesel vehicles from entering them, sales of diesel engined cars is plummeting in Europe. Does anybody know how long Austro can keep producing engines, if Mercedes stops manufacturing them? I know Thielert were severely affected when Mercedes stopped manufacturing the 1.7 litre engine that they were using, and had to design and manufacture their own block in aluminium to avoid the weight issues due to the replacement 2 litre engine's steel block, which Austro went on to use.
Thielert always used their own block.
I would expect either Continental or Austro to order a few years of crated engines before they stop production. At that point we all would have to deal with the costs to convert to the new 2.0 Aluminum block (which is already in production).

Tim