fuel burn da40

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: fuel burn da40

Post by CFIDave »

I was not describing how to teach at a high altitude airport like in Colorado, where of course you don't use full mixture. And I agree that students must be taught to adjust the mixture after leaving the traffic pattern.
Rich wrote:The exception is a go-around, of course.
You just described why it's essential that we teach students to move the red knob full forward (mixture to full rich), and the prop blue knob to full forward (max RPM) when throttling back abeam the numbers to begin descent in the pattern. The aircraft always needs to be configured for a potential go-around during landing, which requires immediate availability of full rich mixture and max RPM; the student should be able to simply put in full throttle to obtain maximum go-around horsepower. (A side benefit is that the engine is also properly configured for a touch-and-go landing, often useful when practicing with an instructor.)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

As I am still a student pilot I do a lot of circuits. When doing circuits my instructor instructed me to (1) leave the *fuel pump on (2) leave mixture full rich (3) leave prop full forward. The only time I every touch the mixture and prop is on x-country. *Once outside the circuit fuel pump is off as normal but in circuit its on.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

If you happen to make it into a warbird like a Mustang or Bearcat, do not go full throttle for the go around. You don't have the rudder authority yet to handle it (and the wheels are not on the ground, the way they are when you takeoff with full throttle).
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)