Twin or Single

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Re: Twin or Single

Post by Antoine »

I believe the question can be reformulated as follows: do you fly a single or a twin? People tend to put their money where their mouth is when it comes to safety issues.

I believe that the combination of a highly reliable powerplant (turboprop) AND an airframe parachute would be the ultimate solution. You're very unlikely to lose the engine and in case you do over hostile ground or water just pull the chute, call for help and start planning your egress.

They don't exist in the certified world but check RDD's LX7. I find it very smart.
dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: OEFGM
Airports: EDLN

Post by dgger »

TimS wrote:Part of the reason I like the DA-42 with extended range tanks, like the Aerostar I had before. They have the range, so there never is a single engine operation point on crossing the Atlantic or even the Pacific (if you go the really, really long way around) where one engine will not get you back to an airport.
True that. Love them for the same reason. However, there are still ways of loosing the range such as loosing the hydraulic system (resulting in gradually lowering gear).
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

Another factor to consider is that ditching with gear retracted is generally considered to be more survivable than with gear down and welded.
carmoda

Post by carmoda »

The reason I visited this site was that I have been looking at either a DA40NG or a DA42-IV for business travel (Regional Australia) and semi-regular crossings of Bass Straight (Australia to Tasmania). The DA40's look like they have heavier landing gear and they would be cheaper to acquire and operate having the added bonus of me being able to train in my own plane.
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

With a lot of multiengine time, I'm pretty spoiled, and lack the experience of a great number of single engine aircraft pilots. That said, there are 4 things I regularly do in a twin, but almost never have and don't believe I ever will again subject myself or my family to in a single engine aircraft without a compelling reason to do so:
  • Rough Terrain
    IMC
    Night
    Open water not within gliding distance of a sweet beach resort
Heros do all of the above in singles on a regular basis. I tip my hat to them.
greg
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Greg
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by greg »

carmoda wrote:The reason I visited this site was that I have been looking at either a DA40NG or a DA42-IV for business travel (Regional Australia) and semi-regular crossings of Bass Straight (Australia to Tasmania). The DA40's look like they have heavier landing gear and they would be cheaper to acquire and operate having the added bonus of me being able to train in my own plane.
If you go the eastern route (Wilson's Prom, Flinders Island, Tasmania) and fly high, you are almost always within gliding distance of "land". (Not suitable for landing on, but fine for waiting for rescue.) The western route (Cape Otway, King Island, Tasmania) has fewer islands, but I've always been able to make it in my DA40 without legally needing to carry a raft. Provided you fly cape to cape (rather than direct) the longest over water leg is about 40NM, from memory.

But Bass Strait is never "millpond flat", and the water is cold, so I've always been pleased once I'm back within gliding distance again. I've been happy to do it in the DA40, but if I had a twin I'd probably use that instead. Bottom line is, I wouldn't select the plane to buy based on having to cross Bass Strait - either one will do.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Being that I own a single, I endeavor to fly profiles that ensure that when over water, I am able to glide to shore (or very close to it) if my engine fails. The only two large bodies of water I routinely cross are Lake Ponchartrain (not at its widest point) and Mobile Bay. I ensure that my altitude is sufficient to make the shore (and preferably an airport). Crossing Mobile Bay, that means remaining at 7500 feet until halfway across, then starting my descent, even though that means a steeper descent into JKA, my usual destination airport.

I spent a lot of time over the Pacific during my time in the Navy, but in 4-engine turboprops, with a lot of survival gear, and having gone through a lot of water survival training. Even so, it was a sobering thought flying 6 to 11 hour missions at turboprop speeds without even a glimpse of land.

Steve
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Rich wrote:From what sketchy evidence I can find, of all Diamond variants, the NG would seem to be the leader in power failures.
I like facts, but if “sketchy evidence” is all we have, let’s hear it. Please expand on your assertion regarding the NG.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Boatguy wrote:
Rich wrote:From what sketchy evidence I can find, of all Diamond variants, the NG would seem to be the leader in power failures.
I like facts, but if “sketchy evidence” is all we have, let’s hear it. Please expand on your assertion regarding the NG.
NTSB accident reports, ASN wiki, and the FAA Accident/Incident reports. No reports at all for anything but the NG, for which there are several, where power loss is a factor. That's why it's sketchy.

Edit: It appears there is now 1 (quite recent) M1A power loss in the NTSB accident DB.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
dselder1962
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: VHYDZ
Airports: YMMB

Post by dselder1962 »

carmoda wrote:The reason I visited this site was that I have been looking at either a DA40NG or a DA42-IV for business travel (Regional Australia) and semi-regular crossings of Bass Straight (Australia to Tasmania). The DA40's look like they have heavier landing gear and they would be cheaper to acquire and operate having the added bonus of me being able to train in my own plane.
I used to own a Cirrus. I have flown all over Australia. And there are some really remote places. Yes I had survival gear, loads of water, and an InReach with which I could contact the emergency services, but you still have to wait probably several days for them to find you.
I am also looking at flying over Bass Straight to Tassie and also to King Island (yes I am a golfer) and even if you have a raft that is a very unfriendly piece of water.
Hence as you can see I own a twin 42-VI. If one engine goes, I can still cross the water and land at a perfectly good airport, or if I am beyond the black stump can at least reach some part of civilisation.
Where are you based? If in Moorabbin, come have a chat and a look at YDZ.
Cheers
David
David
Based in Moorabbin, Australia. 8-)
Past Cirrus 20
Past Cirrus 22T
Present Diamond 42-VI