Twin or Single

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Re: Twin or Single

Post by ultraturtle »

Getting back to the original question of the post, while examining safety reporting from whatever database one chooses, lost to the argument is the simple observation that the loss of an engine on either platform results in one of two basic outcomes:
  • - In a single engine aircraft, at least a local news story that chronicles the heroic efforts of the pilot in command to either save or not save the lives of everyone onboard, or
    -In a twin, a minor logbook entry lost to history chronicling whatever fix was applied to the live spare that experienced some sort of problem.
TJS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: CGMTS
Airports:

Post by TJS »

two engines double the chance of engine failure.
Having said that, I am looking for the comfort of deice for those days coming soon here around the great lakes.
The DA42 is the most efficient plane with deice, turbo and a reasonable fuel economy with the benefit (or not) of two engines. My greatest challenge is still the cost vs the benefit.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I wish I had switched three years sooner.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Colin wrote:I wish I had switched three years sooner.
For the twin engine safety, or for the speed, climb performance, ceiling, useful load, etc?
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Colin »

Mostly for the peace of mind and simplicity. I went from three levers for one engine to two levers for two engines. The plane just hums along. At 1,500 hours the left engine drinks a little more oil than the right (600 hours), but in general it just seems problem-free. The fuel flow for the two engines is less than the fuel flow for my single engine and I am going 20kts or so faster. The reclining seats and removable stick on the right side make it very possible to do longer four hour legs.

But the lack of anxiety when I fly at night, or over water, or have a low ceiling below me, that's just been a game changer. I arrive at our destinations much more relaxed and find that instead of being exhausted (from looking for an emergency landing spot for a few hours straight?) I am just happy to have been in the sky.
TJS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: CGMTS
Airports:

Post by TJS »

How are the costs compared to the DA40 for you, other than the fuel as you mentioned.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Colin »

I have a running tally that makes no sense, like a lot of accounting in aviation. Some of our costs went up, since I am now parking it in three places (KSMO, KFHR, KOWD), for instance. And I cross the country more often. The BIG costs will be gearboxes and engine replacements and although I put those in the spreadsheet when they HAPPEN, I don't do the proper thing and include some per-hour reserve for them
costs.png
For me it looks like it is less expensive to run the DA42. I don't have 2017 in there yet, but it was more hours and no big hits. 2018 has a *huge* hit of replacing both gearboxes and fuel pumps, but I am also flying the wings off the place, so I'm hoping it spreads out nicely. I need to figure out where the DA40/DA42 cut was and show the average hourly cost of both planes.

(In the accounting all I really care about is "can we afford this?" At some point the answer might be no and I'll sell the plane. Maybe I'll get myself a cub to fool around in when that happens. Until then, this is a great thing. We have to go from Cambridge, MA down to Williamsburg, VA on Wednesday morning, then up to DC, then back to NYC. All for speaking engagements for my wife. I cringe when I think of what that would look like if we were driving or traveling commercially. As it is, it looks like one long flight down to Virginia and then just some nice, short hops. No TSA, no standing in lines with the bags, no dealing with customer service reps who aren't paid enough... so pleasant.)
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

Hi Colin -

I'm guessing you don't include fuel in your costs, looking at your numbers (especially 2006)? Do your numbers include all your other costs, outside of capital expenses? Thanks -

John
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)

Post by Guest »

Colin,

Do you adjust your costs for block speed? I'm guessing you go faster in the '42 and thus cover more ground so a dollar of operating expense in the '42 is a better value than the same '40 dollar.

Slightly related is that I've found that the faster and more capable plane I fly, the more hours I fly it because my mission capability expands as well.

Paul
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Colin »

My costs include fuel. In the DA42 that is a very different cost now that I have a fuel card.

The only thing not included is the outright capital cost of the plane (and initial upgrades). Everything else is in there. The WAAS upgrade on the DA40 was a particularly painful year. I got a single landing out of that $20k. In hindsight it might not have been worth it. (The avionics guy screwed up. There was a deal where you could get the WAAS radios for $6k cheaper if you ordered by a certain date. He spaced out and forgot to order them, but had already started the work for me.)