Low Oil Temperature

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Hvwaitz
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Harald
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N947US
Airports: EDFC

Low Oil Temperature

Post by Hvwaitz »

I bought a DA40XLS (2008) half a year ago and logged 50hours so far. A great plane! My question: the manual asks you to maintain an oil temperature of at least 180F. Mine is mostly in the region of 162 to 169F at max power cruising at 5000 up to 8000ft at 2400RPM and best Lean. Everything else is normal. Do I have a problem? Do I need to change something? Thanks for your help!
DaveS1900
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N521DD
Airports: I74 Urbana Ohio

Re: Low Oil Temperature

Post by DaveS1900 »

Oil needs a minimum temp to remove water. I believe if you are below 180 you risk water in the oil which leads to corrosion inside the engine.

Dave S.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

My (2001) DA40 usually reads on the low side as well. I've never seen an oil temp above about 182, and I live in TX! Usually runs about 172. I believe that the oil temp is fine, my oil analyses are good. Just a function of where the oil temperature sensor is located on the engine.

Steve
Hvwaitz
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Harald
Aircraft Registration: N947US
Airports: EDFC

Post by Hvwaitz »

In the prebuy inspection a slight corrosion in the cylinder head was an issue, though not severe. It was blamed on the little operating time of the engine (160 hours in 10 years). So maybe there is a connection to the low oil temp. Are there means to avoid it (Raise temperature, dehydrate oil, etc.)?
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Post by Pascal »

I know of at least one DA40 which has its oil cooler partially blocked with aluminum tape used for heating ducts.

I am planning to do the same to my DA20 soon because with the freezing weather the oil stays cooler than the green and the oil pressure is way too high to my liking. And thats with the full winter kit installed