Is This ADS-B? Who is watching?

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Is This ADS-B? Who is watching?

Post by Steve »

smoss wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:09 pm The sad part of all this is that it appears most ATC still does not automatically pick up the ADSB info or tail number, they still need a good old fashioned ident and beacon code, despite everyone with ADSB-in showing all the tails automatically.
This is true, and surprised the hell out of me a couple of weeks ago flying out of College Station, TX (KCLL). Given discrete Squawk by Clearance Delivery, when I contacted Houston Departure, after confirming radar contact they wanted me to ident and state type aircraft. I guess that even though we little aircraft have to be equipped by January 1, 2020, the big ATC facilities (like Houston) are waiting till the last minute...
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I flew from the London factory to California, mostly on IFR flight plans, with the ADSB squawking the wrong tail number, and only one controller caught it! ADSB out is required but the FAA apparently doesn't use it.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

It seems to me ATC is in an interesting quandary. Even after the 1st of the year, ADS-B will not be required for IFR flight. (Nor for that matter, are transponders BTW, though I doubt anyone does that these days.) There's quite a bit of country East of the Rockies you could file, open and complete many an IFR flight without entering any of the mandated airspace. So ATC will need to have procedures to deal with a mix of ADS-B and non-ADS-B aircraft.

When I depart from around here IFR and make initial contact with Center I get an instant "radar contact" response. No request to ident or anything else. But in busier airspace (Seattle/Victoria/Vancouver area, e.g.) I fairly often get ident requests on initial contact to a new frequency. I suspect it's to help the controller pick me out of the multitude of target noise out there.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

I directly queried multiple controllers in Southern California and Nevada about my ADSB showing up a few months back, and none of them said that it was available to them.
Steve
DA40 XL
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

smoss wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:52 pm I directly queried multiple controllers in Southern California and Nevada about my ADSB showing up a few months back, and none of them said that it was available to them.
I figure they haven't come up with a way to integrate it into the legacy data displays. I feel the real value of ADS-B is to me. If I have more information about other traffic and can grab weather so easily (and for free), I'm good with that.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
dwurfel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: DAVID
Aircraft Registration: N542GL
Airports: KTAD

Post by dwurfel »

Thanks for all the input on my ADS-B adventure. I guess what I am still a bit perplexed is how did it know I diverted to KLHX. The only other entity besides me on changing my destination was the the G1000.